none
PWA ActiveX features only work from specific computers RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Project Server 2007 SP2 + Oct 2010 CU on a Windows2008 server and I have a server for SQL2008. When I use a computer supplied by a customer, I can see the files in project center and I can edit resources and do other things that (I believe) rely on active x. When I (and others) try non-company laptops, the loading grid message never goes away. Furthermore we cannot edit resources, check in enterprise objects and do things that (I believe) rely on ActiveX.

I manage a few installations of MOPS and know the IE settings, etc. I use my laptop to manage other Project Server installations without problems. I have the IE settings properly configured, and I even uninstalled the ActiveX controls and reinstalled the ActiveX controls using instructions on TechNet. Then I recycled IE.

The IT guy claims there are no group policies or SW Restriction Policies on either the domain control or in the Win2008 server SW.

The laptop they provided does have two certificates installed that are identified as this particular organization. I am ignorant as to what these certificates may contribute to this issue.

I am curious to know if this has been experienced by anyone? What can be happening?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:14 PM

Answers

• Thank you Michael. You were close in that it is security related. The company whose network I am using to connect to the internet blocks all ActiveX outside of their domain. So the other systems that I maintain for them work fine with ActiveX because they are within the security boundaries. But not the system I just established off the domain. I do like the nice way you asked if I was dim "Did you Click Here" ;) I might be! But in this case, it was not my inability to follow directions.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

QA

• Marked as answer by Quized again Friday, January 21, 2011 12:18 AM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 12:17 AM

All replies

• Hello Quized again,

When you go to the "Project Center" and "Resource Center" do you get a message that end with "Click Here".  If so did you click it? 

If there is no message about loading the ActiveX controls, then the control is loaded and you may be having problem with security.   Try clicking the HOME tab  and then click on the right side where you name is.  Is your name showing? 

Click on your name and logoff off. Close browser and restart the Internet Exlporer. 

Cheers1

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    • Marked as answer by Quized again Friday, January 21, 2011 12:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Quized again Friday, January 21, 2011 12:09 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Thank you Michael. You were close in that it is security related. The company whose network I am using to connect to the internet blocks all ActiveX outside of their domain. So the other systems that I maintain for them work fine with ActiveX because they are within the security boundaries. But not the system I just established off the domain. I do like the nice way you asked if I was dim "Did you Click Here" ;) I might be! But in this case, it was not my inability to follow directions.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

QA

• Marked as answer by Quized again Friday, January 21, 2011 12:18 AM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 12:17 AM