none
Windows SteadyState and Internet Explorer RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

have a small question.

I have a computer running Vista and SteadyState 2.5 and it's going to be out kiosk solution.

It's working nice but heres my problem.

We have users that surfs to our website and must upload files there.

But when the click the Browse button it says that it's locked.

We have locked down show harddrives, but not usb sticks. And thats what they'll use.

Is there a checkbox for this in steadystate? i have'nt found one.

Thanks in advanced.

Friday, July 25, 2008 9:32 AM

Answers

•  

Hi, we can disable bubble.exe in startup items and the notification will no longer appear.

1.       Click start, go to Run (Or use Win+R button).

2.       Type msconfig and press enter.

3.       Uncheck the item bubble.exe under startup tab.

Hope this helps! 

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:13 AM

All replies

•  

Hi, can you let me know the detail message you received? In Windows SteadyState, the only restriction regarding save data to USB storage device is under "Set Computer Restrictions" – "Prevent write access to USB storage devices". You can check if the restriction is turned on.

Monday, July 28, 2008 6:54 AM
  •  

The message is this:

Restrictions

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please

contact your system administrator.

I get this error when I choose to hide the c: drive under windows restrictions.

But when I click OK on the message the "choose file" box apears and from there I can

choose "computer" and then access the USB memory.

Don't want users to access the hdd, and with that restriction on, it still works the way I want

but with a enoying error message.

Same way if i wanna save a file, same message, but then I must click it two times then it will work.

Maybe this is how it works?

Kind regards.

Monday, July 28, 2008 10:59 AM
  • Have one more thing while we're on it =)

I've enabled discprotection, so now it's ok that users can se C drive, everything is fine after reboot.

But stil som enoying things. Everytime the user loggs on a notification message appears saying that

discprotection is on and that you shold save all work on removable media. Can't find anywhere to turn that one off.

And my computer windows pops up at logon as well. But only after reboot, if you just log out and in again,

it's just the notification message, no my computer window. Puhhh.

Anyone had the same issue?

Kind regards.

Monday, July 28, 2008 12:07 PM
  •  

Hi, we can disable bubble.exe in startup items and the notification will no longer appear.

1.       Click start, go to Run (Or use Win+R button).

2.       Type msconfig and press enter.

3.       Uncheck the item bubble.exe under startup tab.

Hope this helps! 

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:13 AM
  • Thanks! Now it's only why the computer window comes up at logon in left to break.

In windows xp there used to be this problem if you install a program that puts a value in

the registry under run and had a space between words, ex program files\...test.exe

Then you could fix that problem with "program files\...test.exe"

Tried this in Vista, but think Vista can handle space between!?

Kind regards.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:33 AM
  • see http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3662762&SiteID=17 towards the bottom should be your answer to the computer window that comes up at logon (in your case, edit the registry...)
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Thank you all for the help!!

Kind Regards

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:05 AM