none
No Windows 10 Option in Group Policy Preferences - Operating System

Question

• Hi,

I have downloaded and applied the windows 10 admx files, applied them, and i still cannot see windows 10 within the Group Policy Preference Targeting Editor for Operating System 

See below. Am i Missing something? Or is this a bug or non release item from Msoft?

• Edited by Dan Padgett Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:48 AM title
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:48 AM

Answers

• It's true that ADMX templates are not related to group policy preferences. Not all settings are encapsulated in the .admx files. Some of the GUI elements are hardcore in the DLLs.

The GPMC for Windows Server 2012 are not meant to manage newer OSes (Microsoft’s Server 2012 is based on the same code as Windows 8), you should be able to see Windows 10 in the Product list of Group Policy Preference Targeting Editor on a Windows 10 machine or the upcoming new Windows server.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:12 AM

All replies

• > I have downloaded and applied the windows 10 admx files, applied them,
    > and i still cannot see windows 10 within the Group Policy Preference
    > Targeting Editor for Operating System

ADMX templates are not related to group policy preferences.

> See below. Am i Missing something? Or is this a bug or non release item
    > from Msoft?

Do this on a W10 machine... Or simply switch to "WMI filter -
    Win32_OperatingSystem". Works always :)

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:22 PM
  • My mistake re ADMX, would be nice for Microsoft to support these out of the box with standard preferences, ill try your approach, thanks

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:03 PM
  • It's true that ADMX templates are not related to group policy preferences. Not all settings are encapsulated in the .admx files. Some of the GUI elements are hardcore in the DLLs.

The GPMC for Windows Server 2012 are not meant to manage newer OSes (Microsoft’s Server 2012 is based on the same code as Windows 8), you should be able to see Windows 10 in the Product list of Group Policy Preference Targeting Editor on a Windows 10 machine or the upcoming new Windows server.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:12 AM