none
DPM: Error when backing up Hyper-V VM with Child Partition Snapshot RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell server running Windows Server 2008 R2 and a Dell MD3200i storage array that uses CSVs to store Hyper-V virtual servers. On one of the virtual servers running on the Dell server, I have installed DPM 2010. Dell has said their current VSS Providers have issues with CSVs so I added the registry key on the Dell server to use the software VSS provider instead and also added the registry key to serialize backups. I have also updated the integration tools on the virtual server.

However, anytime I try to backup a virtual server using the Child Partition Snapshot in DPM, it always fails within 30 seconds and says replica inconsistent. On the Dell server, each time a backup is attempted, the following error gets logged in the Hyper-V VMMS Admin log (this is VMMS Error code 10102)

Failed to create the backup of virtual machine 'Prod13'. (Virtual machine ID 3E104C06-9F9A-4E3D-A115-7009D48EB1D2)

When I run the command vssadmin list writers, it shows the Hyper-V VSS Writer to be in a stable state, but with a retryable error.

Any ideas on how I might be able to correct this issue?

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

do have some more errormessages? eventlog, DPMlog...

regards

Seidl Michael | http://www.mbs.at | http://www.techguy.at
    Friday, September 9, 2011 5:38 AM
  • From Physical Dell Server:

Before applying the registry fix to force the use of the system VSS provider, I was getting the following error in the application event log when trying to run a backup job through DPM. Once I applied this registry fix, no errors get logged in the application event log.
      Event ID: 3007
      Source: SmProvider
      Message: The snapshot cannot be created because the storage array's snapshot premium feature is not enabled, out of compliance, or not within the limit.

Both before and after the registry fix, I got the following error in the Hyper-V VMMS application log:
      Event ID: 10102
      Source: Hyper-V-VMMS
      Message: Failed to create the backup of virtual machine 'Prod1-3'. (Virtual machine ID 3E104C06-9F9A-4E3D-A115-7009D48EB1D2)

From Virtual Server Prod1-3:

No errors are logged

From Virtual Server DPM (Running Data Protection Manager):

I get the following DPM Alerts in the Windows Event Viewer when a backup job is attempted through DPM or when I manually attempt a consistency check.

Event ID: 3104
      Source: DPM-EM
      Message: The replica for Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\Prod1-3 is currently being synchronized with consistency check. A consistency check can be started automatically or manually. To configurer automatic consistency check options, modify this protection group using the Modify Protection Group Wizard. To start a manual consistency check, click Perform Consistency Check from the Actions pane on the Protection tab. (ID: 3104)

Event ID: 3106
      Source: DPM-EM
      Message: The replica of Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\Prod1-3 on CLUSTER1.domain.local is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities will fail unti the replica is synchronized with consistency check (ID: 3106). DPM encountered a retryable VSS error.

I also get the following warning in the DPM 2010 Administrator Console when the backup job runs (on the monitoring tab) and when I try to manually run a consistency check:

Affected area: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapsho\Prod1-3
      Description: The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\Prod1-3 on CLUSTER1.domain.local is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.
    DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID 30112 Details: VssError:The write experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur.

Thanks for any advice you may have on how to fix this issue.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 4:27 AM
  • Hi,

is it possible, that there is not enough free space for your replica, on both sides, the virtual machine and the main thing, your replicaspace at the DPM Server.

regards

Seidl Michael | http://www.mbs.at | http://www.techguy.at
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:13 AM
  • There appears to be enough free space on both sides.

However, this issue seems to have a number of potential contributing causes, so I have now opened up a support case with Microsoft. I'll post back with the final solution once we reach one, to assist others that might have this same issue in the future.

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:36 AM
  • What did MS say?  I am having the same issue.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:15 PM

• DPM 2010 does not support the backup of virtual machines that do not have storage on the host. However, if you have at least one VHD of the virtual server on the local machine, DPM protects the local VHD.

Storage not on host means you either use iSCSI to present volumes to the virtual machine or use a remote VHD. For such machines, we recommend that customers perform host-level backup of the VHD files using DPM and install an agent into the virtual machine to back up data that is not visible on the host.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Are you being serious... DPM can't backup a .VHD on a CSV?  Really?

What is the registry key you set key on your server to use the software VSS provider instead of the MD3200's hardware provider ?
    I'm having a very similar issue, but thought it was because we didn't license the Snapshot Virtual Disks premium feature from Dell.

Your Event ID 3007 said similar:  The snapshot cannot be created because the storage array's snapshot premium feature is not enabled, out of compliance, or not within the limit.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

DPM 2010 can support backup VM & VHD which reside on CSV. If your storage did not support hardware provider then you need to modify serial backup. For more detail, pls refer to here:- http://www.ms4u.info/2010/08/event-id-1584-backup-application.html

laiys Check out my blog http://www.ms4u.info
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:08 AM
  • DPM does support backing up VM's on a CSV.  The Hyper-V role is the only workload supported on a CSV.  The supported hardware VSS providers are listed at http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/07/08/tested-hardware-vss-provider-table.aspx.  The hardware provider must support auto-recovery of snapshots.

As for the error you are receiving, it appears the problem is with the Hyper-V VSS writer on the Hyper-V host.  When you mentioned that you add the "registry key on the Dell server to use the software VSS provider" are you referring to the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\UseSystemSoftwareProvider key?  This will force the Hyper-V host to use the system software provider instead of the hardware provider.  If you added the following registry settings on the DPM server, it will not circumvent the use of the Hardware provider.  It will only change DPM's default behavior of trying to backup 3 VM's at a time to 1 backup at a time.

Key - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\2.0\Configuration\MaxAllowedParallelBackups
    Value - Microsoft Hyper-V
    Data - 1
    Type - DWORD

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:42 PM