Windows Media Center [Vista] Crash, Need Help! RRS feed

• Question

• On a fresh install of Vista Home Premium, Windows Media Center works properly. Once I have installed all the updates via Windows Update, Windows Media Center continually crashes. If I format and reinstall it works again only until I apply updates once again. I have attempted updating both the driver for my video card and the TV tuner and neither have any effect on the problem.

Here is the fault in Event Log :

Faulting application ehRecvr.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b54f, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000af1c9, process id 0x17e4, application start time 0x01c8644b3527c2f9.

Officially windows simply says "Windows Media Center Receiver Service Has Stopped Responding" and forces it to close.

I am running :

Intel Dual Core System (Intel i945p Chiset)
    3.5 Gigs of RAM
    ATI Radeon 2600 HD (PCI-E, 516Meg RAM)
    Hauppauge WinTV HVR TV TV Tuner

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated!

Saturday, March 8, 2008 9:44 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem. It began right after I installed the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600TV Tuner and attempt to watch TV. Help. This card sucks.

Friday, December 5, 2008 7:52 AM
  • To GuyFrank

No. The card does not "suck". It works just fine in Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit as well as 64 bit. I know because I have one and use it daily. It's a fine card as a matter of fact.

To the original poster (and possibly to Guy)

The cards are boxed up months in advance of release and, as a result, do not always ship with the latest software. Go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers/software for your TV Tuner card. This is especially important if you are using the Hauppauge card. Install Vista normally, (without applying patches) and only install the drivers for the TV Tuner card through Device Manager by selecting the device and right clicking it, then choosing Properties and then the update driver option. Point Vista to the driver you downloaded, via the browse, function, then install it. It should work fine.

Anytime you apply several updates at once, and it breaks functionality with a piece of hardware, the best thing to do is roll back to the restore point you created before you loaded the patches and then load 1 patch at a time. This allows you to test if you still have functionality. That way, you identify which particular patch is causing the problem and can then decide whether or not that patch is worth loading. (not all patches are meant to be loaded)

Friday, December 5, 2008 4:28 PM