Look up Contact does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I'm using Outlook 2010 and when I right click on the sender's name of an email I received and choose Look up Outlook Contact from the pinnable Contact Card box that pops up, Outlook says "Could not find a contact with this e-mail address."  The contact I am trying to lookup is someone outside my organization and they are in my local contacts in Outlook.

I have configured the particular Contacts folder as being in the Outlook Address Book by right-clicking the Contacts folder and checking the box in properties/outlook address book.

Interestingly, the 'Look up Contact' function works when I manually add the sender's information to a new contact in my 'Suggested Contacts' folder.

I'm wondering if this would have anything to do with the fact I am using cached Exchange mode.  
    My laptop is running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with Outlook 2010. Any ideas? Thanks!

• Edited by ITgreene Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:28 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the link, but I've already looked through that thread.

I found a different thread by the same user who marked this solution as helpful:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/1b1766d6-9102-46fc-b0d7-5b45c8b68025/look-up-outlook-contact-doesnt-work?forum=outlook

I'll try this fix today.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

How is everything going?

Have you tried recreating the OST file of your Exchange account? As the "Look Up Contact" feature searches the "Local Contacts" folder, if the OST file is corrupted, it could cause Look Up Contact feature to not work properly. To recreate the OST file, exit Outlook, find the OST file and then rename it via appending .old to the file name. Restart Outlook and it will download a new OST file.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, February 27, 2017 9:46 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

The main reason of this type of error is - you are trying to click ‘Look Up Outlook Contact’ for an e-mail address of a user who is not part of your local Contacts list. And the option searches only the local Contacts folder and does not search the Global Address List. 

In Outlook ->hit the Contacts in the left window->check whether the contact is in the list

You will try below steps to fix this type of error.

1. Right-click the recipient's name, 
    2. A Context menu appears, hit the ‘Contact Card’
    3. On the Contact Card, click the fourth button to expand the drop-down menu to ‘View more options for interacting with this person’.
    4. Choose ‘Outlook Properties’ from drop down list
    5. hit the‘Add to Contacts’option

Then when you try again, you will find the user.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/813607/you-receive-a-could-not-find-a-contact-with-this-e-mail-address-error-message-when-you-use-the-look-up-contact-feature-in-outlook

It might solve your issues!! 
    Thanks !!
    • Edited by aliceaggie Monday, February 27, 2017 7:02 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 7:00 AM