Windowssteady state-add user no partition choice RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add a user in Windows Steay state but despite there being two partitions on my hard disc C and D, there is only the option to add it to the C partition which I dont want.

Alternatively I could ceate a user in Windows but how do I get the profile on the D partition istead of C?
    Friday, February 27, 2009 9:30 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Lordna, you can create user profile onto another partition by using the following steps:

To create a user profile on a separate partition

1.    Log on as the administrator.

2.    Click Start, point to All Programs and then point to Windows SteadyState.

3.    Under User Settings, click Add a New User.

4.    In the User Name box, enter the user name for the profile you want to create.

5.    In the Password box, type the password for the user account. Ensure that the password you choose meets the password policy requirements. Enter the password in the Confirm Password box.

6.    In the User Location box, select the drive on which you want to save the new user profile, and then click OK.

After a user profile is created on a partition separate from the Windows Disk Protection protected partition, the profile remains on that unprotected partition until the Windows SteadyState administrator deletes the user profile. If you later decide that the user profile should no longer be permanent, the protected user profile cannot be copied or moved to another Windows partition. If you want the same user profile to reside on the Windows Disk Protection protected partition so that user changes are cleared when the user logs off or restarts the computer, you must create a new profile with the desired restrictions on the protected partition.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, March 3, 2009 3:18 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Lordna said:

The only drive available to select is Drive C , despite there being two partitions on the disk and visible to the administrative user. This is preventing me creating the user profile on partion and drive D.

Hi,

Is your D: partition formatted with FAT32, by chance?  SteadyState only allows profiles to be saved on NTFS partitions.  FAT32 does not support security, so users profiles would not be secure if stored on FAT32 partitions.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:10 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Lordna, you can create user profile onto another partition by using the following steps:

To create a user profile on a separate partition

1.    Log on as the administrator.

2.    Click Start, point to All Programs and then point to Windows SteadyState.

3.    Under User Settings, click Add a New User.

4.    In the User Name box, enter the user name for the profile you want to create.

5.    In the Password box, type the password for the user account. Ensure that the password you choose meets the password policy requirements. Enter the password in the Confirm Password box.

6.    In the User Location box, select the drive on which you want to save the new user profile, and then click OK.

After a user profile is created on a partition separate from the Windows Disk Protection protected partition, the profile remains on that unprotected partition until the Windows SteadyState administrator deletes the user profile. If you later decide that the user profile should no longer be permanent, the protected user profile cannot be copied or moved to another Windows partition. If you want the same user profile to reside on the Windows Disk Protection protected partition so that user changes are cleared when the user logs off or restarts the computer, you must create a new profile with the desired restrictions on the protected partition.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, March 3, 2009 3:18 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, however I have followed your instructions and this is the problem:-

The only drive available to select is Drive C , despite there being two partitions on the disk and visible to the administrative user. This is preventing me creating the user profile on partion and drive D.

Alternatively, can I do this outside of WSS?
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:05 AM
  •  

Hi Lordna, do you mean you cannot select partition D to save the user profile? If this is the case, please let me know if the drive D is a separate partition or other device, such as USB flash drive.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 3:18 AM
  • Lordna said:

Hi,

Is your D: partition formatted with FAT32, by chance?  SteadyState only allows profiles to be saved on NTFS partitions.  FAT32 does not support security, so users profiles would not be secure if stored on FAT32 partitions.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:10 AM
  • Yes, thankyou it is FAT32 so thatmust be the answer! I will reformat and try again. 
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 11:02 AM