Program Compatibility Assistant opens repeatedly for many programs after clean install RRS feed

• Question

• I recently performed a clean install on an old laptop (after a hard drive failure).  Everything seems to be working OK, except that many programs (MATLAB, VLC, and IrfanView, among others) will spawn a Program Compatibility Assistant after closing, asking 'Did you experience problems with this program?'  No, I did not experience problems, other than this irritating assistant coming up every time I close a program.  No matter how I answer (or whether I click the box for 'Don't show the message again'), nothing happens and the damn thing comes up again next time.  If run the troubleshooter, it tries to apply Windows compatibility mode: Windows XP (Service Pack 2), with no obvious effect.  I have tried reinstalling one program multiple times - as an administrator, as a regular user, etc.  

I know I can turn this thing off, but I'm worried this is indicative of a more serious issue.  Any ideas?

• Edited by rhinosaur Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:20 AM Extra info
    Monday, January 26, 2015 12:36 AM

All replies

• Hello rhinosaur,

Several program keeps ask 'Did you experience problems with this program?’?
    Running in windows compatibility mode does not help?

About Windows Program Compatibility Assistant, please take a look at the following article.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows/program-compatibility-assistant-faq#1TC=windows-7
    The Program Compatibility Assistant might appear if a program or driver didn't register correctly in Programs and Features in Control Panel during installation.

Please right click the program and then click Troubleshoot compatibility.
    Try to uninstall a program and reinstall it, and then check if the issue still exists in this program.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:13 AM
  • Thanks, but I don't think you read my original post - I tried all those things already.  Moreover, this problem is occurring with a number of programs I have used previously with the same laptop in a previous instance of windows. 
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:22 AM
  • Hello rhinosaur,

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

You used previous version of Windows like Windows XP in the old laptop and had no program compatibility issue?

Based on my test, I normally install the VLC and it works with no program compatibility issue.
    What Windows 7 image do you use?

Please open the event viewer and check if there are any related error log.
    For more information about the event log, please refer to the following article.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-event-viewer#1TC=windows-7

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 30, 2015 10:14 AM