none
Consequences renaming user account with admin privileges that has been used to setup scheduled tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, thanks for reading.

I am trying to thoroughly understand the consequences and implications (the ripple effect) of renaming a user account that has administrative privileges and has been used to setup scheduled tasks and other administrative level services.

We have Server 2016 Essentials. The default user account called "administrator" is disabled which is the default state. All fine there.

When we configured the server we created another account called "admin" (yes, we should have chosen a different name :-).  We gave this account administrative privileges.

QUESTION

Many services and scheduled tasks run under this user account. Example, when I'm in Task Scheduler and need to enter the password of the account running the task we enter the password for the "admin" account.

I know that renaming a user account is easy. Just run Active Directory Users and Computers, find the account, right click then select "Rename".

My question is, once I've renamed the user account "admin" to e.g. "sally", will this propagate throughout the system or will things stop working?  Will I have to manually go through everything looking for "admin" and change it to "sally"?

Eg: If I go into Task Scheduler, in the section that says "When running the task use the following user account" it current has:-

MYDOMAIN\admin

I have also read that under some operating systems, path names wont change.

e.g. "C:\Users\admin.MYDOMAIN\Documents" will still be called admin.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 3:12 PM

All replies

• HI
    1."My question is, once I've renamed the user account "admin" to e.g. "sally", will this propagate throughout the system or will things stop working? 
    2.Will I have to manually go through everything looking for "admin" and change it to "sally"?"
    are you sure we only need to right click "admin" and rename it with "sally" in ADUC on DC?

if it is yes,for all your answers are no.

2.for testing ,i rename the "it"account to sally ,it only change the display name like picture1 .meanwhile your logon account is still "it" like picture 2 .so the task scheduler "When running the task use the following user account" will not be affected.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 6:02 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, February 15, 2020 12:48 AM