Word 2010: When saving to SharePoint 2010, Word uses templates title instead of document title. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When have some strange behaviour in our environment. When saving a new word document to our SP server, Word chooses to use the template title as file name.

When cancelling the save and trying again, Word uses the document title as file name. Which is what we want.

What could be causing this behaviour?

Kind regards,

Farhaz Hofman

Monday, September 16, 2013 10:03 AM

All replies

• I cannot fully understand the template title and file name as you mean. In most of time, I think they are same.

I did my best to reproduce it as far as I could:

1. Download a template from office.com called "Business Plan_XXX.dotx"
    2. Open the document and change Template title to "Template Tile" and save as onto desktop.
    3. Rename it as "File Name"
    4. Go to SharePoint 2013 (Sorry, I have Office 2013 environment only in my lab.) Add a document, the document is uploaded, shows "new" and display name is correct as "File Name".

Moreover, I also open this document in Word 2013, File > Save as SharePoint, but got the result as the screenshot below (same as your result):

So, in my opinion, this is by design by far. If there is any misunderstanding, please let me know. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

• Edited by Tony Chen CHN Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Sunday, September 22, 2013 4:57 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Farhaz Hofman Monday, September 23, 2013 9:21 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:58 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Friday, September 20, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.
    If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Sunday, September 22, 2013 4:57 AM
  • Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.

Have been occupied with other matters, so didn't have time to view and update this thread.

But I think you do not understand my problem.

I'll try to clarify with some screenshots.

1. I create a new document from a template in our SP2010 site.

2. I add content and change the document title from "WI Werkinstuctie titel" to "WI Other title"

3. I click on save. It opens the sharepoint site from where the template resides.

The filename filled automaticly with the old document title.

4. When I click cancel  and try to save again, the correct title is used as the filename.

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:20 AM