Session timeout error saving Excel 2010 RMS protected spreadsheet RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who can open and edit an RMS protectected Excel 2010 spreadsheet without any problems. However, when the user goes to save the file the following error message occurs:

Your session with the user account user@domain.com has timed out. The service must verify your credentials again before you continue. If prompted enter the username and password for user@domain.com or loss of workbook may occur.

With an OK and Cancel button appearing within the message box

No matter the button selected the message box disappears without any other action being apparent.

I've checked user priveledges and everything appears to set correctly

I've found a very similiar post from Germany but no clear cut answer, solution or even a good starting point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:34 PM

All replies

• I have almost the exact same problem, except its with SharePoint and a IRM library. I do hope someone has come across this issue and can provide some input on where to look.  - Thanks!

Friday, March 23, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Hi

For troubleshooting you can try the following,

1.Check the IIS logs on the ADRMS server (should be in c:\inetpub\logfiles), synchronizing your testing work on the client with the logs to get you the IIS events as the client hits the server.
    2.Run the IRMcheck tool (found on the RMS Toolkit SP2), which will give you any hiccups in the client side configuration. Things like clock sync, patches, RMS URL in trusted intranet zone ..etc
    3.If the above steps don't provide a clearer picture, then enable tracing on the RMS Client and download & run the Debugview tool. Re-enact the  steps on the client.
    Trace: This registry key can be used to enable application tracing, which records logs of every action executed by the RMS client and that can be viewed by the DebugView tool.

Copy Code HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSDRM
    REG_DWORD: Trace
    Value: 1 to enable tracing, 0 to disable tracing (default)

Download Debugview: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx

Blog: http://OutOfScope.info | @ Twitter: @darthsydd | ADRMS Wiki Portal: Technet Wiki

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Thanks for the troubleshooting tips regarding ADRMS and the IRMcheck tool. I had already performed both these troubleshooting techniques prior to posting the original question. Just failed to put endless hours of troubleshooting effort into my post because they had produced such poor results. The customer I was helping has closed the help ticket(s) because it was cheaper and easier to discontinue use of RMS/IRM than to continue troubleshooting the problems. Both the customer and I believe the problem to be their Windows environment. They have a mix of XP and Windows 7 workstations and servers supporting Windows 2000, 2003, 2003r2, 2008 and 2008r2 with the AD running at Windows 2003. They also utilize Office 2003, 2007 and 2010, and have even started using Office365 as they move forward. With the biggest number of RMS/IRM related helpdesk tickets within this client's archives showing the vast majority problems to be related to Office 2010 in this "mixed" environment. They now consider it far to time consuming to troubleshoot which component of the RMS/IRM connection is causing the problems within their environment. Coincidentally, RMS seems to have been renamed IRM in Office 2010, so once again the issue appears to be related to backward compatibility, though we still don't have any direct evidence either way. Either way my customer decided to discontinue the use of RMS/IRM rather than waste money troubleshooting a feature with so little "supported support" (to quote my client) for the RMS Toolkit.

While professional curiosity would still like to know the correct answer, my client decided it wasn't ready to waste anymore money supporting a feature in Office that Microsoft didn't seem fully prepared to support. Without a billable client I have little motivation to continue this effort but will leave the post open and alerted just in case I can offer further insight into this problem.

Howard J. Cronin

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:18 PM