Getting error on WSUS 6.3.9600.18228 RRS feed

• Question

• This has been an issue since we installed it. We are running Server 2012 R2 and have installed WSUS from Add Roles and Features. We have out clients checking in and they are receiving updates. However, the MMC console seems to crash very frequently. This is the error we always get:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.WebException -- The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.

Source
    System.Web.Services

Stack Trace:
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPGetComputerCount(String computerTargetScopeXml)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPGetComputerCount(String computerTargetScopeXml)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.ConvertToUpdateScope(ExtendedUpdateScope extendedUpdateScope)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.UpdateManager.GetUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope filter)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.UpdatesListPage.refreshUpdatesTimer_TimerCallback(Object state)

I have restarted all of the services that it mentions, and that does not appear to do anything. However, if I restart the server it will start to work for a little while, and then it will do this again. What can I do to fix this permanently?

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think I resolved it with some help from other threads. I will keep an eye on it, but I think running the maintenance script fixed it.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:56 PM
  • Hi SysAdminPDX,

Glad to see you have fixed it, you may monitor a period of time, if it is resolved, then you mark your reply as answer, if still have issues, we're glad to provide help.

Besides, WSUS maintenance is suggested to be performed frequently, it may keep your WSUS working smoothly.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:08 AM
  • So I thought this fixed it, but it reared its ugly head again a number of times. I have to run this script almost every other day. Should I look to migrate this to a SQL database, or reinstall? What are my options?
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 3:42 PM
  • Hi SysAdminPDX,

Check if the issue is related with KB3159706, if you have installed this KB in the WSUS server, then we need to do manual steps to complete the installation.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3159706

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 7:31 AM