Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Quad Core Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

I have a Quad Core PC that had Windows XP on it and I did a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit.  I have installed all of the drivers (as far as I know), but when I did the Performance Test, all of my scores were fairly high except for the processor, which shocked me.

Processor:  3.7

Memory:  6.4

Graphics:  7.3

Gaming Graphics:  7.3

Hard Drive:  5.9

Here's my specs:

650 watt Corsair Power Supply

Foxconn A76ML-K Motherboard

AMD Phenom II Quad Core 945 Processor (unclocked)

4 GB G Skill RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4870 Series

1 TB Western Digital Hard Drive

In addition, on the Task Manager I only see one processor, but under Device Manager I see all 4.  Should I see 4 processors on the Task Manager, or is it just displaying the one quad core processor together?

I'm new at this so I appreciate your help!

David

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:45 PM

Answers

• Hi there Arthur,

I tried that as well, and it didn't work.  I'm not sure what I did, but I just decided to reinstall Windows 7 from the beginning, since I did not really have any programs on there from the previous install.  I then updated the bios immediately and then the video drivers and now everything works.

Thanks for everyones help!

David

Monday, July 19, 2010 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

I have the same CPU and I get a score of 7.3. Please update your BIOS to the most recent version and check the BIOS, that all cores are enabled. Now run the test again.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Hi Andre,

I really appreciate the advice.  I have tried to do that, but maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.  I have tried to do a search online for the most recent version of the BIOS and coudn;'t really find anything... even on the Foxcomm site... or I just didn't know what to look for.

I also did some research to try and find something inside of the BIOS to look for to enable all of the cores, something called Hyperthread I think... but I couldn't find anything on any of the BIOS threads on my PC.

I appreciate any help. Im not looking for someone to do it for me :) just can't seem to find those things.

David

Friday, July 16, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Here is the link to the BIOS:

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx?models=en-us0000443&category=C000000001&series=en-us0000008&keywords=&sort=BIOS

Is this your mainboard?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, July 16, 2010 11:03 PM
  • Yes, I've seen that link before, but maybe I just got confused.  This is the mainboard I am using, but first, I wasn't sure which I should download (there are 3 under view details) and second, I downloaded the first of the zip files just to see the contents.  There's a .ROM, Application and a BATCH file.  Would that be what I am looking for?

I've never installed a BIOS file - I know how to access it on startup - but not install or recognize the file extensions.

Thanks again Andre!

Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Download the newest one.

Such a BIOS update must be done from DOS. The manual of your Mainbaord should tell you how to do a BIOS update.

Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:39 PM
  • OK, I downloaded the manual and the recommended software from the manufacturer.  After lots of reading :) I was able to update the BIOS.  I re-ran the assessment and the processor went from a 3.7 to a 4.7.  Which is still better... but not what you're at.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 9:05 PM
  • please download and run CPU-Z, a software to show you details about your CPU. At which clock speed is your CPU running? The 945 should run with 3GHz.

Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Thanks again Andre for your help - I feel like an idiot trying to do all of this.  I downloaded CPU-Z and it says I am running at 3GHZ... However, where it says cores it only says 1.  This was a cool little program.

I did see where it said socked AM3, and I was looking at AM2(?) and the motherboard model number appears to be slightly different.  I am going to see what I can find on the manufacturers site and if anything matches.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 2:18 PM
  •  it says I am running at 3GHZ... However, where it says cores it only says 1.  This was a cool little program.

This seams to be the causes of the lower rating. It seams that you have only 1 active core. So go into the BIOS and look for an option to use all CPU cores.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

You may also run MSCONFIG to launch System Configuration, switch to Boot tab and click Advanced options to check the Number of processors.

Does it work?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:25 AM
  • Hi there Arthur,

I tried that as well, and it didn't work.  I'm not sure what I did, but I just decided to reinstall Windows 7 from the beginning, since I did not really have any programs on there from the previous install.  I then updated the bios immediately and then the video drivers and now everything works.

Thanks for everyones help!

David

Monday, July 19, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Hi i have a similar problem.All four cores are shown in device manager.But not in task manager.The reason for this(in my case anyway)All four cores are one block(not sure of the true description).And that is the reason task manager cannot show four cores.I hope this sheds some light on the matter..
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Open Task Manger and from the Toolbar select View > CPU History > One Graph Per CPU

Carey Frisch

Monday, July 30, 2012 6:56 AM