How to reload one user from AD? RRS feed

• Question

• Our MOSS 2007 implementation gets user info from Active Directory but one user changed her name a month ago and it is still showing up wrong. There was an issue in AD and I had the network guys fix it but MOSS still has her name wrong after a few days. Is there a way to force MOSS to update one user?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:02 PM

All replies

• Have you run the migrate user command?

stsadm -o migrateuser -oldlogin <domain\name> -newlogin <domain\name>

PT_UK http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @redmantauk MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Hi,

Try a full profile import.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Hi Dave,

How did the user change her name? Through Active Directory or My Site?

In MOSS 2007, user profile information is stored at two places, UserInfo table in content database and UserProfile table in SSP database. The SSP User Profile database is updated from the profile information in the User Directory services via a scheduled update.  This is done in the Central Admin site of the SharePoint Farm.  You can specify when this import runs, and what properties are imported to SSP.

After that, MOSS replicates the profile information in the SSP database to the individual content database’s UserInfo table via a scheduled update.  This timer runs every hour and copies properties, such as picture, department, etc. Note that only the profile properties that are marked with the option "replicable" are updated via the timer.

So please check if the SSP timer jobs and Profile Synchronization timer job are running, if not, please run them manually, then check the effect.

For more information about SharePoint Timer job reference, check out the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc678870(office.12).aspx

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:12 AM
  • Have you run the migrate user command?

stsadm -o migrateuser -oldlogin <domain\name> -newlogin <domain\name>

PT_UK http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @redmantauk MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010

Sorry, I was imprecise. Her real name changed, not her login.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

Try a full profile import.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Thanks. I didn't because it's only one user and the risk of messing up other users is a bit more than I want to do right now. I'm SP Admin because I know more about SP than everyone else around, but I don't know all that much.

You got me looking at the whole profile part of SSP though and everything looks ok, including her profile. Odd.  So I'm tending away from a full import until I figure out why I see her profile correctly but she sees the wrong name.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:53 PM
  • The jobs look ok (profile sync and quick profile sync). We're not using My Sites so it's all coming through AD. From what I see, her profile is correct but when she starts the application it greets her with her old (I think divorced) name. Not surprisingly, she finds that annoying. So, where does the Welcome name on the home page come from, since that's what is wrong? I had her look at her My Settings and it has the old AD account and naturally the wrong information. Maybe I should do what PT_UK suggested and use MigrateUser even though the old login is long gone. I'll speak with her today and find out what login she's using on her workstation.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Hi Dave,

From your narration, please check the UserInfo table in content database and UserProfile table in SSP database, make sure her user name are all correct.

As soon as the My Site feature is activated, any User Profiles from an existing installation of WSS are replaced by the public profiles that are part of My Site. A My Site link is added to the top menu bar for all sites in the site collection, along with the My Links menu.  In other words:

1.     If My Sites is enabled, the user has to manage their profile information via their My Site link.  The link at My Settings in this configuration is read-only.

2.     If My Sites is not enabled, then administrators can and should manage User Profile information via the SSP profile database, or My Settings for the user being edited.

So please double check if you enable My Site feature.

For more information about user profile management, check out the following article:

http://store.bamboosolutions.com/kb/article.aspx?id=10829

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Hi Dave,

How is it going? If anything is unclear, feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Monday, October 17, 2011 1:41 AM
  • A tech is going over to her location to recreate her XP profile. I don't know if it will help but something is a bit odd. We have folks change their names all the time without incident. I'll post when I hear something.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Ok, still a problem. Can someone tell me where the name that is shown on the home page comes from: "Welcome Smith-Davis, Jill" ? That is all that I need to fix and nothing in her profile says Smith-Davis, at least nothing that I can see.

Aby the way, how do I :"From your narration, please check the UserInfo table in content database and UserProfile table in SSP database, make sure her user name are all correct."

I've looked at her profile in SSP and that looks find, but outside of directly going into SQL I don't know how to check her in the content database. I assume that's where the problem is because the profile looks ok.

• Edited by Dave Kulick Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:38 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Hello Dave,

In SharePoint Server 2007, we often run into situations where some attributes of a user is updated in Active Directory however the changes don’t reflect in SharePoint Sites even after doing Profile Import , which I think is what is going on in this case. Please follow the steps in the blog below and see if that resolves the issue 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nishants/archive/2010/08/23/troubleshooting-user-profile-sync-issues-in-office-sharepoint-server-2007.aspx#comments

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Manas Biswas
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Thanks, it took me a while to digest that. The user is not active in the database (tp_IsActive = 0). I don't see a direct fix for that in the article. I'll try again. If I set her to active, is that going to fix this? Her user name is also different now, but I trust SP/AD will fix that as well?
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:31 PM
  • you can try approach described here: Synchronize properties of SPUser with AD without User profiles synchronization in Sharepoint. It was written for Sharepoint 2010, but similar approach should work also for 2007.
    Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    CAML via C# - http://camlex.codeplex.com
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Go To SSP -> User Profiles. Search for the user whose name has been modified. You will see the details of the user with the old name. Just delete the user and recreate. Alternatively you can ask the user to click on mysite to create the user profile.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    My Blog
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:23 AM