easy transfer RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to transfer my files from my XP (32 bit) to Windows 7 (64 bit) using Easy Transfer (downloaded from online). Both computers are hooked up to a router. The installation process went fine for the XP computer, but when I tried to install the Windows 7 version, I got an error message that said it couldn't install because that computer had a different platform. I'm not even sure what a platform is or how I would go about fixing this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to pay Dell to do it!
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• You don't need to install anything on Windows 7. It already includes the latest Easy Transfer version.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:21 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I found the program on my Windows 7 and downloaded the one for XP onto my other computer. I also hooked them both to the same router and put them both in the same workgroup, but they don't connect. They just keep searching for each other... Any ideas?

Pegi Bevins

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:49 PM
  • don't use the direct conenction. Save the data into a transport file on a USB device.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:11 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to migrate Windows XP to Windows 7 with Easy Transfer over the network, here is a reference you can refer to.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3157/migrate-xp-to-windows-7-with-easy-transfer-over-the-network/

PS Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Note to make sure the connection, please ensue you apply the latest version of Windows Easy Transfer to Windows XP.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, October 21, 2013 3:21 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Hi PegiRose,

I just wanted to offer a solution to this problem (in my experience).. 

I have seen this when you double-click on an Easy Transfer file (.MIG) directly. To get around this, open Easy Transfer from the Start Menu in WIndows first - then, go through the screen prompts  (for External Drive or USB) and find the saved file. This should open and migrate fine. Windows XP to Windows 7 -does- work, I assure you.

Note: The "platform" in this case is 32bit vs 64bit.

All the best, and hopefully this helps.

Kevin Costain

• Edited by Calwell Sunday, October 20, 2013 1:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, October 21, 2013 3:21 PM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 1:01 AM
    1. Log on to Windows 7 on to the To PC.

Make sure your hardware is working, and run Windows 7 long enough to become familiar with it.

2. Make sure the connection between the To and From PCs is working.

If both the To and From PCs are connected to your network, choose Start→Computer and click the Network link on the left side to make sure that the computers can see each other. If you’re not using a network, attach a USB cable to both PCs or prepare a big stack of CDs.

3. On the To PC, choose Start→Getting Started→Transfer Your Files.

The Windows Easy Transfer wizard shows itself.

4. Click Next.

Windows Easy Transfer takes you through some easy questions, such as how you will transfer the files and whether you are on the To computer.

5. Do one of the following, depending on your circumstances:

• If your From computer isn’t running Windows 7: Windows Easy Transfer takes you through the process of copying Easy Transfer to the From computer or a network location that’s accessible to both the To and From computers.

After any setup files are transferred, you’re instructed to go to the From computer. From there, start the MigSetup.exe program in the \WindowsEasyTransfer folder.

• If the From computer is running Windows 7: Go to the From computer and choose Start→Getting Started→Transfer Your Files.

6. On the From computer, click Next. Answer the questions and click Next until you arrive at the Windows Easy Transfer box.

image0.jpg

The From computer tells you that it’s ready to send data by showing you a Windows Easy Transfer key.

7. Go to the To computer, enter the Windows Easy Transfer key in the indicated location, and click Next.

Windows Easy Transfer ensures that the computers are connected, checks for updates to the program, and then grinds for a while and presents a list of user accounts that can be transferred.

8. Deselect the check boxes of any user whose data you don’t want to transfer.

9. If you want to select only certain kinds of data, click the Customize link.

image1.jpg

You can trim down what you want to transfer.

If you store data in a folder other than your Documents folder (or its subfolders, such as Pictures or Music) or the common Microsoft e-mail folders, you must click Advanced, find the folder, and select the check box next to it.

10. Click Transfer.

love is rock!!!

• Proposed as answer by TK MAHATO Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:39 AM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:38 AM