Restoring a deleted shortcut RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I am just starting to deploy App-V in my organisation, using global publishing to Domain Computers. The shortcuts are published to the All Users profile desktop, however, if a user deletes the shortcut, accidentally or otherwise, it is deleted for any other user that uses this particular computer.

If I manually copy the shortcut back to the desktop and then unpublish the application, the shortcut is not removed, so this could get quite messy. Is there a way to republish the shortcut using the App-V Client/Server?

I tried the following article, but because my application is not published to a user, it does not work:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2013/10/28/how-to-quickly-repair-published-app-v-packages.aspx

Thanks,

Craig

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:35 AM

Answers

• Nevermind, think I sussed it

Repair-AppVClientPackage *APPNAME* -Global -Extensions

*APPNAME* has wildcards in it so you can just specify a keyword from your app e.g. if it was Paint.NET you could just specify *PAINT* and it would repair that particular app.

Craig

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Craig O'Grady Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 11:06 AM

All replies

• Nevermind, think I sussed it

Repair-AppVClientPackage *APPNAME* -Global -Extensions

*APPNAME* has wildcards in it so you can just specify a keyword from your app e.g. if it was Paint.NET you could just specify *PAINT* and it would repair that particular app.

Craig

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Craig O'Grady Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 11:06 AM
  • If you publish a package global, the shortcut(s) are published to programdata (%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) instead of the userprofile (%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs).
    A restricted user should not be able to remove shortcuts from that location.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 3:03 PM
  • Thanks Tiberivs,

We have redirected start menus for the majority of our users, so they do not see any common program groups which is where these shortcuts would be ordinarily created with a user deployment instead of a global deployment.

Craig

Thursday, June 4, 2015 12:22 PM