Want to upgrade to SharePoint 2010 but cannot upgrade Windows Server 2003 R2 Ent. x64 to 2008 R2 Ent. x64 because of MOSS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• What are the proper steps required to successfully upgrade Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 to Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise x64 (with the ultimate goal of upgrading MOSS 2007 SP2 to SharePoint 2010)?
    I originally posted this question on the Windows Server forum, but they recommended that I post my question here.

Our current SharePoint production environment is a single MOSS 2007 SP2 server (running on Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise x64) with its database on a separate SQL 2008 Enterprise server.  I understand that SharePoint 2010 requires that it be run on Windows 2008 R2 x64, and I wanted to test the ability to perform an inplace upgrade of that farm.

So to prepare for that upgrade I built a similar box (also running Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise x64) and installed MOSS 2007 on it (allowing it to install the default SQL 2005 express database).  I used Microsoft Update to fully patch the server and MOSS 2007 instance.  It now claims that MOSS is running at version 12.0.0.6421 which is reportedly MOSS 2007 SP2.

When I attempt to upgrade the server to Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise x64, I am warned via the "Compatibility Report" that I need to:

"Turn off these Windows Features.  Office SharePoint 2007 - Please read Microsoft Knowledge Base article: 962935".

That article claims that the way to successfully perform this upgrade is:

Option 1: Upgrade to Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 Service Pack 2. Then, install Windows Server 2008 R2. For more information about how to deploy software updates for the products in the "applies to" section, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

My MOSS 2007 installation is at SP2, so I just went into the services console and stopped the SQL and SharePoint services that were running before proceeding with the Windows install.  The Windows install appeared to proceed and rebooted at least twice (I was not constantly watching it, so do not know how many times it actually rebooted).  Eventually it came back up running Windows 2003 and claimed that the upgrade had failed and been rolled back.
    What are the proper steps required to successfully upgrade Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 to Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise x64 (with the ultimate goal of upgrading MOSS 2007 SP2 to SharePoint 2010)?
    How do I "Turn off this feature" without uninstalling?  It is not really an option to uninstall our production MOSS 2007 farm and re-install it.
    Thanks for the help,
    Jeremy Hawks
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:56 PM

All replies

• Are you sure you are installed on SQL 2005 express for your test database?  It sounds like you did a standalone install on the test box, which would normally install the Windows Internal Database (WID) which is technically different than SQL 2005 express.  If so, then that presents a problem since WID is no longer supported in SharePoint 2010 and that may be your problem.

I think you also may be running into an issue with the upgrade not recognizing that you have SP2 installed because you did it through update.  I know if you try to install MOSS 2007 directly on server 2008 r2 you must use a version of MOSS with SP2 slipstreamed into the installation media.  Since you upgraded later the server upgrade may be checking cached installation media from MOSS rather than reading the build number and thinking you have the wrong product.  Take a look at the follwoing article.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2009/10/02/install-sharepoint-server-2007-on-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

One other easier way to solve all this might be to upgrade the server to server 2008 (non-r2) and then upgrade to SharePoint 2010.  Then after you are on 2010 upgrade to server r2.  I know it seems like the long way around, but it might make life a lot easier.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:28 PM
  • I assume it is SQL 2005 Express as that is what the installation claimed it would install, and SQL 2005 does appear in Add/Remove Programs.  How would I be able to tell if that is WID in disguise?

I have not even got to the point of trying to upgrade MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010 yet, as I am trying to upgrade Windows 2003 R2 to Windows 2008 R2 first.  So having upgraded to MOSS 2007 SP2 via Microsoft Update instead of a clean install via a slipstreamed CD should not be an issue during this phase of the upgrade process.

I am attempting the upgrade to Windows 2008 Enterprise x64 (non-R2) now.  Windows 2008 Enterprise x64 (non-R2) made me uninstall Powershell and stop then disable the SharePoint Search service, but is currently installing.

I thought I saw in the system requirements of SharePoint 2010 that it needed to run on Windows 2008 R2.  I just double-checked and it appears that I was mistaken there, so if the upgrade to Windows 2008 (non-R2) is successful, then I can stop the OS upgrade there and proceed to the SharePoint upgrade.

I will post again after the upgrade completes with the results.

Thanks,

Jeremy Hawks

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Jeremy

Did you found the solution to the issue? I am also facing the same problem ..Curius to know what you did

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:24 PM
  • We did not find a solution as our server was not able to perform an inplace upgrade to 2008 R2 (not SharePoints fault).  Eventually we will have to perform a migration where we build a separate server and move the content over to it, but we do not have the budget to do that at this time so it is on hold.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:05 AM