none
Did an OS in place upgrade from 2012 to 2016 and DFS replication stopped

Question

• I have my main dc1 on 2012 r2 and i have two others, dc2, dc3.  I did an in-place upgrade to 2016 after running forest and domain prep.  I noticed in my event logs today 

DC03 14548 Error Microsoft-Windows-DfsSvc System 2/9/2017 5:13:13 PM
    DC02 1110 Error Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy System 2/9/2017 5:25:38 PM
    DC02 10016 Error Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM System 2/9/2017 5:19:04 PM

I think this is related to dfs replication but i don't remember how to fix it.  Can anyone help?

Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:52 PM

Answers

• Glad to hear it helps.

Ethernet should include the loopback address, but not as the first entry.

For a single DC you should use server's own address as primary and loopback (127.0.0.1) as secondary.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:22 AM

All replies

• This tool may help you narrow down the issues.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30005

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2017 1:59 AM
  • Hi,
    Alternatively, you could check suggestions as below on each error:
    Event ID 14548 — Trusted Domain Information Status
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee410981%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    Event ID 1110 — Group Policy Preprocessing (Active Directory)
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727342%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    Event ID 10016 — COM Security Policy Configuration
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726313(v=ws.10).aspx
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, February 10, 2017 8:19 AM
  • I installed and ran this tool on all the domain controllers and i ran refresh replication status and then clicked errors only for the data but got no errors.  Am i running this tool incorrectly?
    Saturday, February 11, 2017 12:06 AM
  • I click on Config/Scope Settings page, check box for "Re-Discover", then button for "Refresh Replication Status" should return to "Status Viewer" page with results.

Saturday, February 11, 2017 12:12 AM
  • thats what i did except i dont have a box for re-discover
    Saturday, February 11, 2017 12:45 AM
  • There's also "Refresh Replication Status" in upper left corner. Also you only would need to run tool on one DC

If that's not working I'd try the links Wendy posted.

Saturday, February 11, 2017 12:52 AM
  • ok i found out that you don't get the checkbox the first time you open it, if you hit refresh replication status and then come back to home the checkbox appears.  So i ran that and same thing, no errors.  I don't get why.
    Saturday, February 11, 2017 7:21 PM
  • Given the errors and that it was in-place upgrade I'd probably make sure other DC has all roles and try again but with a clean install. After clean install, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it. Also make sure DC points to own address as primary and other DC as secondary on connection properties.

Saturday, February 11, 2017 7:57 PM
  • Reinstalling and doing the above seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks, i was hoping i wouldn't have to reinstall but the process wasn't really too bad. well i think all is well except i get this in dcdiag

C:\Windows\system32>dcdiag /q
             An error event occurred.  EventID: 0x00002720
                Time Generated: 02/13/2017   17:17:31
                Event String:
                The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
             An error event occurred.  EventID: 0x00002720
                Time Generated: 02/13/2017   17:19:11
                Event String:
                The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
             ......................... DC02 failed test SystemLog

You mention to set the dc as its primary dns, i have read that it should be set to secondary or never the primary, maybe i got this information from the best practices analyzer.  Which way is correct and why?

DC02 Error DNS: DNS servers on Ethernet should include the loopback address, but not as the first entry. Configuration

• Edited by ventura_Ace Monday, February 13, 2017 11:26 PM more text
    Monday, February 13, 2017 11:22 PM
  • Glad to hear it helps.

Ethernet should include the loopback address, but not as the first entry.

For a single DC you should use server's own address as primary and loopback (127.0.0.1) as secondary.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:22 AM