Display Resolution Restricition RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded Windows 7 and I love it. The only thing is that the resolution is only a fraction of my screen. On the display settings, it is set to the maximum resolution, that leaves a black borarder empty around my screen.
    I don't know which drivers are compatible with my computer that will expand the interface, and resolution of Windows7.
    Computer is Dell Inspieron 700m, used to run XP.
    I would really appreciate some help form you smart ppl.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:58 PM

Answers

• Windows 7 does not have video drivers for every make and model of video card so it may be a generic driver that is in use right now. Installing the right driver for your video card or chipset can enable higher screen resolutions. If the computer came with XP already installed than the driver was probably installed by the recovery partition. You can may be able to get an updated driver for your video card/chipset online from the chipset or video card manufacturer's web site.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:23 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Sounds like it is a notebook with these specs:
    (problem I see is in bold)

Processor 725 (1.60GHz, 2MB Cache, 400MHz FSB)
    Chipset Intel® 855GME chipset
    Operating Systems Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
    Memory 512MB standard, upgradable to 2 GB maximum
    SDRAM Configuration 2 SoDIMM slots (one user-accessible)
    Primary Battery 4 cell (32Whr) Smart Lithium Ion battery *
    Approximate battery operating time Up to 2.45 hours3
    Extended Battery 8 cell (65Whr) Smart Lithium Ion battery(optional)
    Approximate operating time Up to 5.5 hours4
    AC Adapter Input voltage: 90 to 240 VAC
    Input current (maximum) 1.5 A, frequency 47-63Hz
    Output current 4.5 A max. at 4 second pulse, 3.3 A continuous
    Output power 65 W
    Dimensions (H x W x D) 1.1-inch (28mm) x 2.3-inch (59mm) x 5.25-inch (134mm)
    Ports
    1394 Integrated IEEE 1394
    USB 2-USB 2.0 (Universal Serial Bus) compliant 4-pin connectors
    Audio jacks Line-out (external speakers/headphone) and external microphone
    Video 15-pin monitor connector
    10/100 Ethernet LAN RJ-45 connector
    S-Video/TV Out 7-pin mini-DIN connector
    Memory Secure Digital memory slot
    Modem RJ-11 connector
    Connectors Supports (1) Type I or Type II card
    PCMCIA 3.3 and 5 V cards supported
    Installed Graphics Intel® Extreme Graphics up to 64 MB shared memory
    Display 15-inch Wide Screen crystal clear TFT XGA active-matrix display (1280 x 800 resolution)
    Hard Drive 60GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    Media Drive DVD-CDRW
    Sound Integrated stereo sound
    Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

The 8**** series chipset graphics architecture supposedly was not enough to run WDDM drivers / Aero, and Intel stopped support for the chipset a few months before Vista's release, so there is no Vista or win7 graphics drivers for this chipset.
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:44 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 does not have video drivers for every make and model of video card so it may be a generic driver that is in use right now. Installing the right driver for your video card or chipset can enable higher screen resolutions. If the computer came with XP already installed than the driver was probably installed by the recovery partition. You can may be able to get an updated driver for your video card/chipset online from the chipset or video card manufacturer's web site.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Ok. great. But what if I don't know if I have the back up Partition? Or how do I know what driver to look for?
    Thanks
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:10 PM
  • I was guessing you may have one since they display worked with XP.Another thing that tells me you used to have a recovery partition is it's a DELL and dell uses pre-installed OS with a recovery partion but if you installed windows 7 it may be gone. If you had one it would be on a seperate partition usually D: and it would have a label such as "recovery". This is just my reason to believe it would be a driver issue and in any case the recovery partition even if it was there will not work with windows 7. So the thing to do is find out who makes you video card or chipset and go to the appropriate web site to obtain the drivers. You can find out what card or chipset you have by typing "System Information" into the start menu text entry box, open system information and in the left hand of the console where it says "system summary"  click on "components" and "display".

Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Sounds like it is a notebook with these specs:
    (problem I see is in bold)

Processor 725 (1.60GHz, 2MB Cache, 400MHz FSB)
    Chipset Intel® 855GME chipset
    Operating Systems Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
    Memory 512MB standard, upgradable to 2 GB maximum
    SDRAM Configuration 2 SoDIMM slots (one user-accessible)
    Primary Battery 4 cell (32Whr) Smart Lithium Ion battery *
    Approximate battery operating time Up to 2.45 hours3
    Extended Battery 8 cell (65Whr) Smart Lithium Ion battery(optional)
    Approximate operating time Up to 5.5 hours4
    AC Adapter Input voltage: 90 to 240 VAC
    Input current (maximum) 1.5 A, frequency 47-63Hz
    Output current 4.5 A max. at 4 second pulse, 3.3 A continuous
    Output power 65 W
    Dimensions (H x W x D) 1.1-inch (28mm) x 2.3-inch (59mm) x 5.25-inch (134mm)
    Ports
    1394 Integrated IEEE 1394
    USB 2-USB 2.0 (Universal Serial Bus) compliant 4-pin connectors
    Audio jacks Line-out (external speakers/headphone) and external microphone
    Video 15-pin monitor connector
    10/100 Ethernet LAN RJ-45 connector
    S-Video/TV Out 7-pin mini-DIN connector
    Memory Secure Digital memory slot
    Modem RJ-11 connector
    Connectors Supports (1) Type I or Type II card
    PCMCIA 3.3 and 5 V cards supported
    Installed Graphics Intel® Extreme Graphics up to 64 MB shared memory
    Display 15-inch Wide Screen crystal clear TFT XGA active-matrix display (1280 x 800 resolution)
    Hard Drive 60GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    Media Drive DVD-CDRW
    Sound Integrated stereo sound
    Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

The 8**** series chipset graphics architecture supposedly was not enough to run WDDM drivers / Aero, and Intel stopped support for the chipset a few months before Vista's release, so there is no Vista or win7 graphics drivers for this chipset.
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:44 PM
  • THanks to both of you guys. I completely understand both your recs. Do you think there is a way of installing the XP video driver while still using Windows 7? I dont want to go back to XP! :(
    I got the original installation CD.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Yep there is a way, just note that you still won't be able to run Aero or other 3D graphics features using XP drivers.

First, download the graphics driver for your chipset (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=922&DwnldID=10099&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows%20XP%20Professional*&lang=eng )

2nd, run the install file in compatibility mode for XP (right-click driver installer, select properties, compatibility tab, select the "Run this program in compatibility mode" checkbox and choose Windows XP (SP2) or Windows XP (SP3) in the dropdown box and press OK.

3rd, run the installer. If all goes well, after a reboot the XP driver should be installed.

Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:46 PM
  • I recommend that you go to the web site of the video card or chipset manufacturer and see if there is a driver available for your make and model. You may use Sytem Information mentioned a few posts before this one to find out what video hardware is in your computer.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:48 PM