none
"DPM found no recovery points" and EUR RRS feed

• Question

• Currently I’m using SCDPM 2010 running on top of Windows Server 2008 R2 with built in SQL 2008 brought from the DPM package. I’m protecting Client : Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7. 

1.       I installed DPM agent to Windows XP, then after the Synchronization and Recovery Point has been created I go to my client then open the DPM Client. When I check the Recovery Tab and search for the recovery point there’s nothing there but at the DPM Server I saw some recovery point for my client, the message said : DPM found no recovery points which you are authorized to restore on the specified DPM server. You can restore only those recovery points for which you were an administrator at the time the backup was taken. To restore other recovery points, contact your DPM administrator, or attempt to restore from another DPM. I’ve already tried step according to this blog : http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/08/25/how-to-properly-configure-dpm-2010-for-successful-client-side-recoveries.aspx but still no luck. Any idea ?

2.       About EUR, I’ve already enable configuration at DPM server. I know this EUR works only for Windows Vista and 7, one of my client is Windows 7. Before I protect it with DPM the System Restore for certain drive already On with configuration : Restore system settings and previous version of files. My question is how actually EUR works is I’ve already configured System Restore locally for my client? Should I disabled it ? How to check that EUR works for my Windows 7 client ?

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For 1. - Even after you "Explicitly" add your user account to the local administrators group of the protected desktop system, you must wait until new synchronizations take place and at least one new recovery point gets created on the DPM server.  Then, it may also take awhile before the permissions are honored by the DPM server, so be patient and check back a little later, it should work.

For 2. DPM End User Recovery (EUR) applies to File protection on servers, not file protection on client workloads.  So for instance if you protected a D: Volume on file server called FS1, clients accessing the \\FS1\D-Share would see previous version located on the DPM server.   This works for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 clients.   Now, if you want to see previous versions of files located on Windows Vista and Windows 7 clients themselves that you have enabled DPM Client protection for, you simply right-click a file on a volume being protected by DPM and previous versions should be listed.  Those will only be previous versions from the local shadow copies, not versions of files on the DPM server. You must use the DPM client "recovery" tab and connect to the DPM server to see those recovery points.  Again, needing explicit administrator right on the desktop machine.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For 1. - Even after you "Explicitly" add your user account to the local administrators group of the protected desktop system, you must wait until new synchronizations take place and at least one new recovery point gets created on the DPM server.  Then, it may also take awhile before the permissions are honored by the DPM server, so be patient and check back a little later, it should work.

For 2. DPM End User Recovery (EUR) applies to File protection on servers, not file protection on client workloads.  So for instance if you protected a D: Volume on file server called FS1, clients accessing the \\FS1\D-Share would see previous version located on the DPM server.   This works for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 clients.   Now, if you want to see previous versions of files located on Windows Vista and Windows 7 clients themselves that you have enabled DPM Client protection for, you simply right-click a file on a volume being protected by DPM and previous versions should be listed.  Those will only be previous versions from the local shadow copies, not versions of files on the DPM server. You must use the DPM client "recovery" tab and connect to the DPM server to see those recovery points.  Again, needing explicit administrator right on the desktop machine.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Is it still true in DPM 2012, end user has to in the local adminstrator group to perform data recovery from the recovery point stored on DPM server? This seems very un-practical?
    Friday, June 22, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Hi, this is still issue in DPM 2012 R2 as well.

Jan Marek

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:56 PM
  • Hi,

A fix was put in DPM 2010 update to allow normal users (non-administrators) to recovery their own files.  

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/05/10/how-to-configure-the-dpm-client-to-allow-non-admin-users-to-perform-end-user-recovery-of-dpm-protected-data.aspx

An automated way of allowing users to recover their own files can be found in this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bc67c597-4379-4a8d-a5e0-cd4b26c85d91/dpm-2012-still-requires-put-end-users-into-local-admin-groups-for-the-purpose-of-end-user-data

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 9:13 PM