Rule comments

Rule mode
    Enforce
    Additional properties
    Sender address matches: Header
    Version: 14.0.0.0

But I'm constantly getting the errors:

If I sent from an external domain:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
      user1@domain.com
        SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<user1@domain.com>:
        host domain-com.mail.protection.outlook.com [104.47.0.36]:
        550 5.4.1 [user1@domain.com]: Recipient address rejected:
        Access denied [HE1EUR01FT057.eop-EUR01.prod.protection.outlook.com]

If I sent from a local domain:

Original Message Details
    Created Date: 12/26/2018 2:23:54 PM
    Sender Address: aleks@domain.com

Recipient Address: user1@domain.com

Subject: RE: test 1

Error Details
    Reported error: 550 5.1.10 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipientNotFound; Recipient user1@domain.com not found by SMTP address lookup 
    DSN generated <g class="gr_ gr_54 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="54" id="54">by:</g> AM5PR06MB3140.eurprd06.prod.outlook.com

The user1 is a former employee and his mailbox was deleted, but his manager wants to receive his emails.

Could you please help me to solve this problem. As a temporary solution, I added user1@ to aleks@ as an alias.

PS C:\> Get-MessageTrace -RecipientAddress user1@domain.com

Received            Sender Address       Recipient Address Subject     Status
    --------            --------------       ----------------- -------     ------
    26.12.2018 13:28:31 aleks@external.com   user1@domain.com  Re[6]: test Resolved   "when I added an alias"
    26.12.2018 13:03:54 aleks@domain.com     user1@domain.com  test        Failed
    26.12.2018 12:21:08 aleks@domain.com     user1@domain.com  test        Failed

Thank you in advance.

• Edited by Anahaym Wednesday, December 26, 2018 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2018 3:00 PM

Answers

• to make the rule working I should create an email contact of that user and hide it from the address book.
    • Marked as answer by Anahaym Wednesday, December 26, 2018 4:14 PM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2018 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I have created a mail redirection rule (Exchange Online):

Redirection test to Aleks
    If the message...
    Includes these words in the recipient's address 'user1@domain.com'
    Do the following...
    Redirect the message to 'aleks@domain.com'
    Rule comments

Rule mode
    Enforce
    Additional properties
    Sender address matches: Header
    Version: 14.0.0.0

But I'm constantly getting the errors:

If I sent from an external domain:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
      user1@domain.com
        SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<user1@domain.com>:
        host domain-com.mail.protection.outlook.com [104.47.0.36]:
        550 5.4.1 [user1@domain.com]: Recipient address rejected:
        Access denied [HE1EUR01FT057.eop-EUR01.prod.protection.outlook.com]

If I sent from a local domain:

Original Message Details
    Created Date: 12/26/2018 2:23:54 PM
    Sender Address: aleks@domain.com

Recipient Address: user1@domain.com

Subject: RE: test 1

Error Details
    Reported error: 550 5.1.10 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipientNotFound; Recipient user1@domain.com not found by SMTP address lookup 
    DSN generated <g class="gr_ gr_54 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="54" id="54">by:</g> AM5PR06MB3140.eurprd06.prod.outlook.com

The user1 is a former employee and his mailbox was deleted, but his manager wants to receive his emails.

Could you please help me to solve this problem. As a temporary solution, I added user1@ to aleks@ as an alias.

PS C:\> Get-MessageTrace -RecipientAddress user1@domain.com

Received            Sender Address       Recipient Address Subject     Status
    --------            --------------       ----------------- -------     ------
    26.12.2018 13:28:31 aleks@external.com   user1@domain.com  Re[6]: test Resolved   "when I added an alias"
    26.12.2018 13:03:54 aleks@domain.com     user1@domain.com  test        Failed
    26.12.2018 12:21:08 aleks@domain.com     user1@domain.com  test        Failed

Thank you in advance.

Why is that a temporary solution? 

You dont need a transport rule. Just add the user1@domain.com SMTP address to the other mailbox like you did

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 3:13 PM

• Why is that a temporary solution? 

You dont need a transport rule. Just add the user1@domain.com SMTP address to the other mailbox like you did

Hi Andy,

we want to use the rules because it is good to see everything. For example, If I would be asked: who receives emails addressed to User1@? I just open the rules and find the answer. Of course, I can use get-recipient... But we use the rules for years.

Also, how then works the Catch-all rule? It redirects all nonexistent addresses checking the domain name only.

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 3:18 PM

• Why is that a temporary solution? 

Also, sometimes we need to redirect some address to two users. But it is not possible to assign the same alias for several recipients, isn't it?
    Wednesday, December 26, 2018 3:47 PM
  • to make the rule working I should create an email contact of that user and hide it from the address book.
    • Marked as answer by Anahaym Wednesday, December 26, 2018 4:14 PM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2018 4:14 PM