none
Planned Demand vs Actuals RRS feed

• Question

• We use Power Query with Excel to report out Actuals for one of our Teams. The Manager wants a to compare Planned time vs Actuals for his team.

How can this be done with Power Query and Excel?

Is there an easier way to do it in Project Online?

Thanks
    John

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:49 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

There are actually 2 concerns in your post.

The first is about planned vs actual. The planned work corresponds to the baseline which should be saved at a certain time by the project manager to take a snapshot of the planned schedule. In your report, you can thus retrieve both actual work and baseline work to compare planned vs actual. You could also use the work variance which is the difference.

The other concern is about which tool to use. PowerQuery and Excel can do the job, but with Project Online, I'd rather use PowerBI which combines all Excel Power Adds in a single tool proposing a desktop client and a web access. Note that there is a free licence for PowerBI which is quite enough to create and publish great dashboards.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

Actual and baselines can be found in different table such as _api/ProjectData/AssignmentTimephasedDataSet.

No if the user enters 16hrs in his timesheet instead of 20hrs, the initial 20hrs will be overwritten. The only way is to save a baseline before to keep track of the 20hrs.

For PowerBI, the Project Online Professional is enought to consult dashboards. The Premium licence is only requested for administrators who create and share dashboards.

Hope this helps,

Monday, March 27, 2017 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

There are actually 2 concerns in your post.

The first is about planned vs actual. The planned work corresponds to the baseline which should be saved at a certain time by the project manager to take a snapshot of the planned schedule. In your report, you can thus retrieve both actual work and baseline work to compare planned vs actual. You could also use the work variance which is the difference.

The other concern is about which tool to use. PowerQuery and Excel can do the job, but with Project Online, I'd rather use PowerBI which combines all Excel Power Adds in a single tool proposing a desktop client and a web access. Note that there is a free licence for PowerBI which is quite enough to create and publish great dashboards.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:55 AM
  • Guillaume,

Thanks for your answer.

What OData table should we use to get to the actual work and baseline work.

Question if I am scheduled for 20 hours this week on a task and I actually work 16 hours, won't the hours in my Timesheet still show 20 when I query the data later?  Note we have asked our users to save their time but not submit it.  We did this because we do not have everyone using and entering time into Project Online.

While Power BI is free, I believe that a user must have Project Online Premium license to use it.  This is why we are using Power Query.  Do you know otherwise?

Thanks

John

Friday, March 24, 2017 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

Actual and baselines can be found in different table such as _api/ProjectData/AssignmentTimephasedDataSet.

No if the user enters 16hrs in his timesheet instead of 20hrs, the initial 20hrs will be overwritten. The only way is to save a baseline before to keep track of the 20hrs.

For PowerBI, the Project Online Professional is enought to consult dashboards. The Premium licence is only requested for administrators who create and share dashboards.

Hope this helps,

Monday, March 27, 2017 9:19 AM
  • Guillaume,

Thanks once again.

John

Monday, March 27, 2017 11:59 AM