none
Trying to make a Project Plan with a Overall Status Manager & Sub section Status Managers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-

I have a project that I'm trying to integrate using the "My Tasks" for updating the progress.  The problem is that there are multiple levels status managers and the resources assigned don't always agree with who is giving the updates.  For instance you have:

• Person A who is responsible for the Overall Schedule & Updates 
    • Person B who is responsible for status of the subsection, but is not necessarily assigned as the Resource
    • Person C who is assigned the task

I would like for Person B to be able to go into the Project Web App and in a "tasks" section see only those tasks that they are responsible for updating.  Then send to Person A for approval.

Is such a thing possible?  The issue I am running into is that Person B is not assigned all of the tasks in the sub section, but they will be gathering information for the Person A.

Thank you!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 10:58 PM

All replies

• This would work if you set Person B as the Default Assignment Owner for Person C in the Resource Pool.  That's a common scenario when scheduling work crews.  The coordinator is assigned as the DAO and is able to update tasks.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

• Proposed as answer by John Hansleyton Wednesday, September 30, 2015 7:42 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 2:01 AM
  • That sounds like the correct path to go, however when I tried it the tasks assigned to Person C still did not come up in my list of tasks.  
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 8:26 PM
  • Spirito96 --

In addition to the excellent advice given to you by Andrew, you might need to do this as well:

1. Open the project in question and apply the Resource Usage view.
    2. Temporarily insert the Assignment Owner field to the right of the Resource Name field.
    3. For the tasks assigned to Resource C, set Resource B as the Assignment Owner for each task.
    4. Save and publish the project.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 8:41 PM
  • That did it!  Thank you!
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Actually one more thing, can you not do this for generic resources or tasks that do not have a resource assigned? Things like milestones.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 10:20 PM