none
Upgrade to Windows Server 2012 on Windows 2008 R2 with DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody.

We have upgraded our DPM server to 2012 without any problems.
    Next I have an urgent need to upgrade the server from 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012.
    I do not want to perform an in-place upgrade if I can avoid it in any way.

My plan is to make a clean installation of Windows server 2012 on the current DPM server and keep the DPM storage pool. Next install DPM 2012 and finally restore the DPM database as outlined in the disaster recovery documentation for a DPM 2012 server.

My question is therefore is the above supported and will the new Windows Server 2012/DPM 2012 server be able handle the stored replicas and recovery points in the storage pool just as it was before the server was reinstalled?

Thanks,
    Per

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike.

I have experienced the copy and paste issue before and I am pretty sure I did test that by writing and not pasting the command and I still got the error. Anyway I am always using notepad and when copying the command from notepad I would assume such an error should not be an issue.

Nevertheless I will for sure try to run the command again as suggested by you since I have other and more important DPM servers to handle the same way.

Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions.

Best regards,
    Per 

• Marked as answer by perdahlc Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:34 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As long as you install the new Windows 2012 operating system in a separate partition or a new dedicated drive, and you use the same machine name, then I see no issues with the plan.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:26 PM
  • Hi Mike.

First of all thanks for the reply.

I have made the upgrade today and I had no problems until I tried to restore the DPMDB.bak file I made by running the command DPMBackup.exe -db.

According to Microsoft’s DPM 2012 documentation, many blogs etc. the following command should restore the DPM database: DpmSync –restoredb –dbloc “path to DPMDB.bak”. I had no luck whatsoever when running this command. I got the error: “Error ID: 457 Invalid command line arguments were specified. For help about DpmSync, at the command prompt, type DpmSync -?.”

I tried a lot of different approaches to troubleshoot this issue including deleting the DPM database before running the restore command but still no luck.
    The troubleshooting documentation provided by Microsoft regarding error 457 stated that: “Error ID 457 — Data Protection Manager. At this time, no additional information is available for this error”, which is not very helpfully.

Then I tried to restore the DPMDB.bak file using the SQL server management studio and it work right away. After running the command DpmSync –sync the DPM server was operation normally again.

Thanks,
    Per

• Marked as answer by perdahlc Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by perdahlc Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:31 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:31 PM
  • Hi,

Almost every time I have seen that error, it's because you copied and pasted the DPMSync commands.

I just repro by copying your command above and tried running it, then replaced the dashes (-) with dashes that I typed in, and Viola....

EXAMPLE COPIED FROM YOUR POST
    =======================

C:\Users\administrator.MJACQUET> DpmSync -restoredb -dbloc c:\temp.txt.bak
    DpmSync 2.0 - DPM database synchronization command-line tool
    Copyright (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error ID: 457
    Invalid command line arguments were specified. For help about DpmSync, at the command prompt, type DpmSync -?.

EXAMPLE REPLACED DASHES WITH TYPED DASHES
    =================================

C:\Users\administrator.MJACQUET> DpmSync -restoredb -dbloc c:\temp.txt.bak
    DpmSync 2.0 - DPM database synchronization command-line tool
    Copyright (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error ID: 464
    Path not found: 'c:\temp.txt.bak'. Ensure that the database backup exists at the specified path.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Hi Mike.

I have experienced the copy and paste issue before and I am pretty sure I did test that by writing and not pasting the command and I still got the error. Anyway I am always using notepad and when copying the command from notepad I would assume such an error should not be an issue.

Nevertheless I will for sure try to run the command again as suggested by you since I have other and more important DPM servers to handle the same way.

Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions.

Best regards,
    Per 

• Marked as answer by perdahlc Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:34 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:34 PM