Offline WSUS slow download RRS feed

• Question

• Cutting to chase I have a network closed off from the internet. I have moved all the WSUS updates into the WSUS content folder. I can see the download taking place and it is moving very slow I am thinking this is not correct . I am a Linux guy and don't use windows so be gentle.   The WSUS is offline and I used sql express and not the default database I don't think that has anything to do with the speed of the download.  any help or suggestions would be great.  
    Monday, August 1, 2016 6:19 PM

Answers

• Cutting to chase I have a network closed off from the internet. I have moved all the WSUS updates into the WSUS content folder. I can see the download taking place and it is moving very slow I am thinking this is not correct . I am a Linux guy and don't use windows so be gentle.   The WSUS is offline and I used sql express and not the default database I don't think that has anything to do with the speed of the download.  any help or suggestions would be great.  
    SQL Express should not be used for WSUS due to limitations in the database size. I would suggest using the Windows Internal database for WSUS.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi A_Ant,

Windows use BITS to download update files, you may check if there are any group policies limiting the maximum network bandwidth for BITS.

The group policy locates in Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Network>Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

The corresponding register keys locates in computer>HKLM>SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:03 AM
  • I was thinking the same thing,  I was unsure if that was the case because I manual transferred all the content to the WSUS Content. I am making a guess that it runs through a internal web server(?)I will try this later today and let you know if it is a go or not. 
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:09 PM
    SQL Express should not be used for WSUS due to limitations in the database size. I would suggest using the Windows Internal database for WSUS.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:14 PM