Blackouts during games RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

For over a year now I've been having various display issues while gaming. There's a few things that happen, all seemingly randomly:

- A significant slowdown in the game, follow by strange artifacts. After a few seconds, the screen goes black and re-enters the game like nothing happened.

- Coloured triangles, origination from the center of the screen, which seem to be 'following' my character. As in: they change shape and colour if I move around in games. 

I have not noticed these issues happening outside of gaming.

The first issue (blackouts) is the most frequent. It first happend in World of Warcraft, but after testing some other games to see if it was a WoW-related issue, I've found it happening in both Crysis 1 and 2 as well. It seems to be happening randomly: sometimes I'm fine for a couple of days, on other times it happens five times in an hour. Blackouts often, but not always, go with the system message "the display driver has stopped responding and has recovered".

The Windows Event log has some coinciding events. Each blackout creates three entries:

1. Source: Desktop Window Manager: "A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (4)", with the event ID 9010. At the same time, the following event occurs:

2. Source: Desktop Window Manager: "The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application", event ID 9013. Then, the real error happens, roughly a few seconds later:

3. Source: Windows Error Reporting: 

"Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: 
    P2: 
    P3: 
    P4: 
    P5: 
    P6: 
    P7: 
    P8: 
    P9: 
    P10: 

Attached files:
    C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WD-20110417-1255.dmp
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER-4382364-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Windows\Temp\WEREF20.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_0_0_cab_11b2ef2f

Analysis symbol: 
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 46c8b287-68e1-11e0-a8d7-001e8cbbea10
    Report Status: 4"

This has the eventID 1001.

I've found the dump files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_0_0_cab_11b2ef2f. If anyone needs them to analyse this problem I'll be happy to upload them somewhere, as I can't seem to attach them to this topic.

I have up to date drivers for both my video card and my motherboard. Windows 7 is fully updated. My system specs are as follows:

- Windows 7 64-bit Professional

- Intel Core 2 Duo 8400

- 4 GB Kingston DDR3 RAM

- Geforce 9800GT

- 450W Corsair PSU

Everything is running on stock values. The weirdest part is that I've had this setup for three years, while these errors only seem to be happening in the past year. This has been happening on and off, and I've yet to find a solution. I have tried different drivers for the video card, updated the BIOS, reinstalled all games, reinstalled DirectX 10, ran stresstests on my CPU (Prime95), RAM (Prime95) and GFX card (Furmark). All of them came out clean, although I've only tested them for 45m each. Should I run those tests longer than that, as I'm finding contradictory statements on forums. The temperatures of the CPU and GPU almost never exceed 60 Celcius, even under heavy load.

I'm at a loss here. The crash files in Event Manager don't make sense to me, I hope someone else can come out with an answer to this annoying problem. 

Many thanks in advance! 

Edit: I have uploaded the crash files to http://www.2shared.com/file/EFpLpVMZ/Kernel_0_0_cab_11b2ef2f.html. Should you not be comfortable with downloading an unknown zip file I'll be happy to upload the unzipped files to any specified location.
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:31 AM

Answers

• Assuming everything else (software- and hardware-wise) is OK, then that would MTL leave the PSU as the culprit. Read Vegan Fanatic's article from his first post- it's very interesting and will give a clue as to what size you need to upgrade to.

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, April 25, 2011 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:46 AM

All replies

• Although Vegan Fanatic may be right, I really don't think it's the PSU unless it's actually going bad. I run an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4800+, 4GB RAM, 2 HDD, 2 DVD-ROM, and a Geforce 9800GT on mine with a 5 year old 430w Thermaltake PSU. Crysis 1 and Crysis:Warhead cause no problems, even after a couple of hours of play.

Download and run Memtest86+   http://www.memtest.org/#downiso . Remove all but one RAM module. Testing one at a time will narrow errors down more easily.

Remove the video card and check that there is no dust build-up on the heat sinks or blocking the fan's airflow. Check the rest of the inside of the case also.

If you run the game at a lower resolution or with less detail, do you still get the artifacts?

Do you possibly have another video card you could install to see if you still have problems?

SC Tom

Sunday, April 17, 2011 8:36 PM

• <Vegan Fanatic [MVP]> wrote in message news:5406e39a-61ab-4399-9b43-eeeb908e5639@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I prefer much bigger power supplies. Mine has 40A on 12V so I can use my GTX 260 overclocked fine.

A 5 year old PSU is politely last year's technology, mine is 18 months old.

40A on +12v? Do you have a water tower to cool it LOL?

That may be true, but it hasn't failed me for anything I've tried to do. So it may be old, but it works like new :-)

SC Tom

Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:11 PM

• Although Vegan Fanatic may be right, I really don't think it's the PSU unless it's actually going bad. I run an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4800+, 4GB RAM, 2 HDD, 2 DVD-ROM, and a Geforce 9800GT on mine with a 5 year old 430w Thermaltake PSU. Crysis 1 and Crysis:Warhead cause no problems, even after a couple of hours of play.

Download and run Memtest86+   http://www.memtest.org/#downiso . Remove all but one RAM module. Testing one at a time will narrow errors down more easily.

Remove the video card and check that there is no dust build-up on the heat sinks or blocking the fan's airflow. Check the rest of the inside of the case also.

If you run the game at a lower resolution or with less detail, do you still get the artifacts?

Do you possibly have another video card you could install to see if you still have problems?

SC Tom

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

The issue also occurs when I'm playing WoW on its lowest settings. I do have a gut feeling though that it seems to happen less on lower settings, but I can't be sure on that as the issue happens randomly, and I have no way to reliably reproduce it.

I've checked the case, it hardly had any dust in it but I removed it anyway (can of compressed air).

As for Memtest, I'll run it tonight and post back with the results. 

Your PSU is at issue. Its not big enough.

http://www.hardcore-games.tk/papers/psu.php

Its possible your video card is fried too

Hmm, testing if it's the video card should be easy to test by replacing it. Unfortunately I don't have another video card available to test my system with, but I'll try and borrow one from a friend. I did however test my video card with Furmark, it ran stable without any issues for an hour. Is that enough to test if my card is fine, or should I try to replace it with a borrowed one anyway? 

If it's the PSU - I have no idea how to reliably test that. All I have is the fact that it only seems to happen during gaming. 

I'll post back with the results from Memtest.

Monday, April 18, 2011 2:55 PM

• When you updated your Nvidia drivers, did you uninstall the old ones first? Also, there was a recent MS update for Nvidia; it would be best not to install it, or if it has already been installed, uninstall it.

To uninstall all Nvidia drivers, use Programs and Features in Control Panel. Reboot. When it comes back up, the Found New Hardware wizard may start. If it does, cancel out of it. Run the Nvidia setup program downloaded from here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-270.61-whql-driver.html

That will give you a fresh installation of the driver, and the PhysX software. Run WoW and see if you still have artifacts.

SC Tom

Monday, April 18, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Alright, I've ran Memtest - it came out clean, no errors. Just to be sure I had it run overnight so it did 8 full passes. As for the drivers, I've un- and reinstalled them manually. I should probably add that I did a full format this summer which did not fix the issue, so I doubt it's software related, but perhaps it will work!

I'll make arrangements to swap my video card with a friend's for a couple of days. If he gets the same issues with my card, or if I have no issues with his, then my card is fried. If it turns out that we both have no issues, so the card is ok, can I assume that I need to have a serious look at my PSU? 

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:40 AM

• Assuming everything else (software- and hardware-wise) is OK, then that would MTL leave the PSU as the culprit. Read Vegan Fanatic's article from his first post- it's very interesting and will give a clue as to what size you need to upgrade to.

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, April 25, 2011 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:46 AM
  • Hi there..

I got the same problem and are eager to hear if you had any luck with your problem yet?

Sunday, May 1, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Hello-

I hope you've solved your problem by now, but if you haven't or are still looking for possible culprits, for what it's worth, I have to say I disagree with the other posted replies.  If I read your specs right and you really do have 4 GB of DDR3 memory, it's just not enough.  4GB isn't enough to handle current gaming standards, let alone gaming + whatever.  [Windows 7 (any edition) is able to handle up to 16GB of RAM.]  

If your PSU was faulty, I think you'd probably experience issues at times other than just when running games. 

Also, you didn't list the GPU specs, but you can find the relevant info @http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_9_Series

It lists memory, etc.  Just scroll down to the chart & you'll see your specific model.  (This might not be helpful as you may already know the info listed; but I wanted to include it just in case.)

If you've already come up with the solution, I'd like to know what the prob was, if you feel like posting an update.  :-)

Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:47 AM

• <sChicago2000> wrote in message news:b768849a-cce2-4d77-a0b9-5596aae25f7e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hello-

I hope you've solved your problem by now, but if you haven't or are still looking for possible culprits, for what it's worth, I have to say I disagree with the other
    posted replies. If I read your specs right and you really do have 4 GB of DDR3 memory, it's just not enough. 4GB isn't enough to handle current gaming
    standards, let alone gaming + whatever. [Windows 7 (any edition) is able to handle up to 16GB of RAM.]

I have never had more than 4GB of RAM in my systems (32-bit), and have never had any problems with "gaming + whatever" that were due to lack of memory. In most instances (key word being "most"), 4GB is plenty for anybody, hardcore gamer or otherwise.

SC Tom

Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:26 AM