Q: drive RRS feed

• Question

• Do I understand correctly that I must map a network location as a Q: drive to the physical or virtual computer where I run the sequencer and save the saved package to that location, but I would still install the actual application during the monitoring process to the local C: drive and not the Mapped networked Q: drive? 

I notice that the sequencer create two set of files: one set of files during the monitoring process and one set of files after the sequencing process meaning when I save it.  What are the purpose of these two different sets of files?  Are both of these set of files need to be on a network location?

Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:05 PM

Answers

• No, actaully the Q drive should be a local volume or partition with the label Q: or whatever you will be configuring the App-V client to use on the user's desktops.

Normally when sequencing you will point the installation to the Q: drive in a directory as the installation location.  That will capture up files during montioring.  After the completion of the sequence you should save the sequenced package to a different location.  I prefer directory on the desktop.  That directory on the desktop should contain all the files that need to be copied to the server or distribution location.

It is possible to install the application to the C:\ drive but not recommended by Microsoft.

mattmcdermott
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, June 5, 2009 5:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Darklord12 Saturday, June 6, 2009 7:39 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Different drive letter:
    If ever possible, you should stick on the Q: drive. There are strange effects discussed here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/56aeee2c-8e49-4686-8efe-29897c3c0149. However, as for now this issue has not been verified so it might be some very specific configuration that leads to the issues there.

Files in Q:
    It is an best practice that you revert your sequencer machine to a clean state after you finsihed sequencing a certain application (whereas "Sequencing" also includes "Testing"). And while reverting the machine you may revert your Q: drive as well

Falko
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 4:56 PM

All replies

• No, actaully the Q drive should be a local volume or partition with the label Q: or whatever you will be configuring the App-V client to use on the user's desktops.

Normally when sequencing you will point the installation to the Q: drive in a directory as the installation location.  That will capture up files during montioring.  After the completion of the sequence you should save the sequenced package to a different location.  I prefer directory on the desktop.  That directory on the desktop should contain all the files that need to be copied to the server or distribution location.

It is possible to install the application to the C:\ drive but not recommended by Microsoft.

mattmcdermott
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, June 5, 2009 5:11 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Thanks.  So from what I understand, it's not necessary have to be Q: drive, it could be any drive letter as long as it matches the virtual drive configured on client machines?  What do I do to the set of files that are created in a directory under Q: drive during monitoring process?
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:44 PM
  • You can do whatever you like with the files in the Q: drive.  I suggest deleting after you have copied the actual package files to your infrastrucutre and tested that the package works properly.

But, it is up to you.

mattmcdermott
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Different drive letter:
    If ever possible, you should stick on the Q: drive. There are strange effects discussed here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/56aeee2c-8e49-4686-8efe-29897c3c0149. However, as for now this issue has not been verified so it might be some very specific configuration that leads to the issues there.

Files in Q:
    It is an best practice that you revert your sequencer machine to a clean state after you finsihed sequencing a certain application (whereas "Sequencing" also includes "Testing"). And while reverting the machine you may revert your Q: drive as well

Falko
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 4:56 PM