WSUS Updates services console will not connect RRS feed

• Question

• I had my WSUS running at about 75% and then a vendor came in and broke IIS for me. The only think I can remember about the settings in IIS is that I had to change the max cached updates to a higher number until all my clients are reporting successfully.

So, without reinstalling WSUS and IIS, how do I figure out what the correct settings in IIS should be? I have tried searching TechNet but the IIS settings aren't revealing themselves. 

Any Help?

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:49 PM

Answers

• I've already re-installed the OS.
    • Marked as answer by Northbayteky Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi. Does this help you - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708545(v=ws.10).aspx
    Friday, April 21, 2017 11:24 PM
  • That definitely shows promise. Thank you. I will let you know how it goes. 
    Friday, April 21, 2017 11:41 PM
  • Ok cool. Doesn't help you now, but in future you could have a process to perform an IIS config backup (done within IIS Manager) before any changes are made so that you have a rollback in add of problems like this.
    Friday, April 21, 2017 11:46 PM
  • Hi Norhbayteky,

Just an attempt, please try re-run post-installation, check if the WSUS site in IIS will re-create automatically:

"C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe" postinstall /servicing

In addition, append the WSUS site:

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 6:40 AM
  • It looks like a re-install is in my future. I looked at all the settings here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708545(v=ws.10).aspx and I didn't make any changes, all the entries were correct. 

I ran the wsusutil.exe postinstall/servicing and it doesn't appear any changes were made during that process and I am still not able to view the WSUS console. I restarted IIS no joy.

Thanks for your help Anne and Stu. 

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:41 PM
  • After an R&R of WSUS and IIS, and running the wsusutil.exe postinstall /servicing command, there's still something not quite right. I get this in the log after opening up the WSUS console:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2017-04-26 15:45:02  FixSubscriptionCategories failed. Exception: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting' threw an exception. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'Update Services' is denied.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.GetUsableLogFileName(String fileName, LogFileLocation& actualLogLocation)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.InitializeFromConfig()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.InitializeIfNeeded()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting..cctor()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting..ctor()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thoughts, suggestions? This folder is owned by TrustedInstaller, system has full control, as do administrators and creator owner. Which account does not have access?

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:59 PM
  • Hi.  Is there anything useful in the Windows event logs that could give us more information?
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Nothing useful, I mean, it's obvious this thing isn't working.

The following web services not working: 
    Client web service
    API reporting
    DSS service
    Simple Auth
    server syncronization
    self-update
    and the WSUS directory is not accessible.

This is from the log file for most recent attempt to run the console and configure WSUS:

2017-04-27 08:44:59  Synchronization in progress. Please cancel synchronization and rerun postinstall again. Exception: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.GetServerVersion()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.GetServerVersion()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.CreateUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer..ctor(Boolean bypassApiRemoting)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.StartServer.StartServer.FixSubscriptionCategories()
    2017-04-27 08:44:59  StartServer encountered errors. Exception=Synchronization in progress. Please cancel synchronization and run postinstall again.
    2017-04-27 08:44:59  Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CommandException: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)
    Fatal Error: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service

Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:43 PM
  • Hi there.  As it sounds like from your last update numerous components still appear to be broken, I'd recommend removing and reinstalling WSUS.  You could be fighting this one for a long time trying to get everything working, and then it may never be 100% functioning correctly.
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 10:19 PM
  • I did. I uninstalled WSUS as well as IIS.

Perhaps I should remove them both and then start with one? Maybe I can install IIS first and see if that works and then install WSUS? 

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 10:32 PM
  • Hi Northbayteky,

To re-install the WSUS, please remove the original WSUS components completely:

1. Remove WSUS role in Server Manager;

2. Remove WSUS Content folder and WSUS site in IIS;

3. Install SQL server management studio to connect to WID, detach and remove the SUSDB;

4. Delete SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB_log.ldf in C:\Windows\WID\Data;

Then reinstall the WSUS.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:52 AM

3. Install SQL server management studio to connect to WID, detach and remove the SUSDB;

Is there some secret to connect to the WID? When I try to connect to it I can't change the server type, it pre-populates that field and then says it can't connect to the server.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:01 PM
  • Hi Northbayteky,

>Is there some secret to connect to the WID? When I try to connect to it I can't change the server type, it pre-populates that field and then says it can't connect to the server.

You may check the following blog to connect to WID:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vedvyas/2014/08/19/following-is-the-steps-to-connect-to-these-windows-internal-database-on-windows-2012-machine-this-to-access-the-wap-configuration-from-the-adfs-configuration-database/

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 5:41 AM
  • I've already re-installed the OS.
    • Marked as answer by Northbayteky Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:18 PM