none
Unable to open external HDD that is locked by bitlocker

Question

• hey guys...

i have a serious problem with bitlocker and really need your help

i have an external HDD that is locked by bitlocker and won`t open

i didn`t lock it i just went on section that asks for password and cancel the process and my HDD worked just fine but after i disconnected it and connect again it has been locked and when i try to open it says :

Bitlocker (D:)

the bitlocker encryption in this drive isn`t compatible with your version of windows. try opening the drive using a newer version of vindows.

i`m pretty sure it didn`t encrypt my drive cuz encryptions take time and my drive is 1 TB 

i`m using windows 8.1 and tried 8 & 7 ...even XP :(
    i have really important stuff in it

plz tell me what to do :'(

Thursday, August 07, 2014 7:38 AM

Answers

• Farid Rahimi,

If you haven’t already, remove the drive from whatever port you have it plugged into and try another port.  Another thing you can check is to see if there are any new updates available for your BIOS.  Take a look at any changes that it might list and if there have been any changes to the TPM, go ahead and run that update.  You’ll also want to make sure that your system settings are all correct for the port you’re using.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Thursday, August 07, 2014 2:12 PM

All replies

• Farid Rahimi,

If you haven’t already, remove the drive from whatever port you have it plugged into and try another port.  Another thing you can check is to see if there are any new updates available for your BIOS.  Take a look at any changes that it might list and if there have been any changes to the TPM, go ahead and run that update.  You’ll also want to make sure that your system settings are all correct for the port you’re using.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Thursday, August 07, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Same thing just happenned to me!

I tried every ports of every computer I have... still don't work!

I need my files :/
    Monday, January 16, 2017 3:16 PM
  • Same thing just happenned to me!

I tried every ports of every computer I have... still don't work!

I need my files :/
    Monday, January 16, 2017 3:16 PM
  • I am also having this problem. I switched to another port on the laptop and then also tried to access the drive on a different laptop.... Same result... I had just updated the Laptop to Windows 10 Pro and have completed Bitlocker encryption of the internal drive with no issues. I had started encryption of the external drive, paused the encryption process and then attempted to resume encryption when this error message was seen...

• Edited by 5uperbrit Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:47 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:39 AM
  • I have the same issue with my external Hard Drive which is locked by the Bitlocker and i am using the windows 10 pro so I do not know what is the newER version of windows that I can use to unlock the drive.

ANY OTHER SOLUTION TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE FOR WINDOWS 10 PRO?

• Edited by Loi Ho Monday, August 14, 2017 2:47 PM missing words
    Monday, August 14, 2017 2:45 PM
  • I have the same issue, on a brand new computer. Windows 10 though.
    Sunday, December 17, 2017 12:50 AM
  • This answer is a non-answer.  It doesn't resolve anything.  I have the same issue as the others, I just upgraded to Win 10 Pro, now I'm unable to access my drive thanks to me apparently not using a "newer" version.

Where is this mystical newer version I should be running?  Hmm?  Pfft.

Sunday, April 08, 2018 5:14 AM