Use Group Policy to change Log On screen background image.. RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently in the process of preparing to roll out Windows 10 Education in our school district over this summer. In preparation I've scoured the internet trying to find a way to customize the background image of the log on screen in Windows 10 via Group Policy.

Is this possible? Perhaps a future GPO once Windows 10 has been out for a while?

Am I the only one that things that this image of the Windows Logo is just too much? From a design standpoint, the Windows 10 logo itself is fine, a nice modern update that we all know/love, but c'mon!

Thursday, February 4, 2016 4:00 PM

Answers

• Well at the moment if you want to change the picture for another picture no easy. You will need to use some third party software.

But if you want to change it to a simple color background you can Disable Logon Background this is a simple registry change

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System” “DisableLogonBackgroundImage” with the value “00000001”

This can be done with GPO. Hope this help

Thursday, February 4, 2016 4:05 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Yes, currently there is no available ways to customise the sign-in screen image, and as shared by Frederick Dicaire, we could take use of the registry mentioned to disable the Windows 10 background image, the available configuration path is:

Settings->Persionalization->Lock Screen-> Show Windows Background Picture on Sign-in Screen.

We could take use of group policy to disable the picture.

If any further questions, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 5, 2016 7:05 AM

All replies

• Well at the moment if you want to change the picture for another picture no easy. You will need to use some third party software.

But if you want to change it to a simple color background you can Disable Logon Background this is a simple registry change

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System” “DisableLogonBackgroundImage” with the value “00000001”

This can be done with GPO. Hope this help

Thursday, February 4, 2016 4:05 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Yes, currently there is no available ways to customise the sign-in screen image, and as shared by Frederick Dicaire, we could take use of the registry mentioned to disable the Windows 10 background image, the available configuration path is:

Settings->Persionalization->Lock Screen-> Show Windows Background Picture on Sign-in Screen.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 5, 2016 7:05 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Regards

What about the OOBE folder and the file called backgroundDefault.jpg ?

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:48 AM
  • “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System” “DisableLogonBackgroundImage” with the value “00000001”

Where is this registry setting linked to in local group policy?  I can't find it.

ls -r C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions | Select-String DisableLogonBackgroundImage

Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:01 PM
  • “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System” “DisableLogonBackgroundImage” with the value “00000001”

Where is this registry setting linked to in local group policy?  I can't find it.

Yes, where is this GPO setting?  I searched for both it and the Registry key in the Win10 GPO spreadsheet and I do not find it there.

Friday, September 8, 2017 11:42 AM

Yes, where is this GPO setting?  I searched for both it and the Registry key in the Win10 GPO spreadsheet and I do not find it there.

You will need to use Group Policy Preferences to add the registry setting.

John W. Rea

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:09 PM