none
Redirected Folders problem server 2012 R2

Question

• A customer has a Windows 2012 R2 Standard server with folder redirection issues. I will try to explain.

We have a user share on a file server, within this share we have the user home folders (these are automatically created via active directory home drive \\server\usershare\%username%). The share is created via DFS. There is no DFS replication setup.

Next we created a group policy with folder redirection of all folders to the same share.

When a users logs on he or she has all rights to the h:\ drive. The user can see all the redirected folders in the h:\ drive (for example: Desktop, Documents, etc.) and create, delete or change files.

When a user goes to the dekstop or my documents and creates a folder, the folder cannot be opened or deleted. You need administrative privileges for that. But when the user goes to the h:\ drive and opens desktop, he or she can delete and open the created folder.

Now comes the most strange part, when the user logs in multiple times he or she cannot delete the created folder on the desktop or my documents. But sometimes it is possible.

This behaviour is for all the redirected folders, it really drives me crazy and cannot find a solution. The event viewer shows nothing of this problem.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:41 AM

Answers

• After a lot of troubleshooting we decided to remove the DFS namespace and created a new share and used this as redirected folders.

Problems are over now, and everything works fine. It probably had something to do with DFS, but we could not find out why.

• Marked as answer by Walter Beelen Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:45 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Walter Beelen,

Thanks for your post.

May I ask that the you map the share to the local as drive ? And you said after  multiple times logon, user fail to create in destop, what exact error do they get? Still denied by administrative limits?

The Access Denied error may be caused by incorrect permission settings. Please refer to the following article to check your settings. When you configure the group policy, have you choose the option "Grant the user exclusive rights to Desktop " and "Grant the user exclusive rights to Document"

Please check the articles for more details.

Automatic creation of user folders for home, roaming profile and redirected folders.
    http://blogs.technet.com/askds/archive/2008/06/30/automatic-creation-of-user-folders-for-home-roaming-profile-and-redirected-folders.aspx

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 11, 2015 8:09 AM
  • After a lot of troubleshooting we decided to remove the DFS namespace and created a new share and used this as redirected folders.

Problems are over now, and everything works fine. It probably had something to do with DFS, but we could not find out why.

• Marked as answer by Walter Beelen Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:45 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:45 AM