Problem with installing Vista SP1 with a current Technet license RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to install a 32bit Vista SP1 onto a Vista Ultimate computer, the 
    installation failed and SP1 removed itself (it took 5 hrs to remove) and then 
    when the computer restarted it brought up a message 'An unauthorised change 
    was made to Windows' and it had a link to a microsoft site that said that my 
    Technet Vista license key was invalid ( I have a current Technet 
    subscription), the computer would then shutdown and drop back to the logon 
    screen and when you logged back in it would do the same again.
    I eventually managed to get back into windows and the SP1 installer was 
    showing a 0xC004F033 error code which is shown when a 'product key is not 
    allowed to be installed'.
    In Windows I clicked on Windows activation and it says my version of Vista 
    is Activated and genuine.
    Any ideas about what could be causing this?
    Thanks
    Monday, February 25, 2008 2:16 AM

Answers

• Erwin

When you try to activate and it fails, simply select the telephone option in the activation window. This will display a toll free number that you can call. The activation representatives will be able to activate the installation without any problem. Takes about 5 minutes.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:49 AM

All replies

• Hi, Not a Techie, but updated sp1 on my vista business and says my licence key no longer valid buy a new one? only got a few days left, can’t get any help from anywhere except buy a new licence, my vista business pack is oem came with pc, go on how to tell genuine Microsoft from fake and it validates every time but will not take my licence key tried everything. You guys got any solutions before I spend another £160.00 on new pack? MS support just say go back to Toshiba who supplied pc they say it’s a vista problem with sp1??? MS say buy a new key seen how much that is???

As I say not a techie like you guys but if you could help would really appreciate it! PS my fields is Power Energy Management so if you guys need any advice on how to keep your Power stable and "Electrically Quiet" I'd be only too happy to swap techno best I can offer if that’s ok, Regards Erwin, Bristol, England UK,

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:54 PM
  • Erwin

When you try to activate and it fails, simply select the telephone option in the activation window. This will display a toll free number that you can call. The activation representatives will be able to activate the installation without any problem. Takes about 5 minutes.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:49 AM