none
Can't create a VM on Server 2016. Generic Error.

Question

• Howdy,

I have a 2016 server setup with Hyper-V installed.  When I try to create a new VM I get all the wya through the wizard and then get an error that just says:

New Virtual Machine Wizard
    The server encountered an error while creating <VM Name>.
    Creating the virtual machine failed.

If I click OK it just takes me back to step 1 of the wizard.  I tried creating the VM on the local C drive as well as on am SMB 3.0 share which is where I actually want it to go.  I also specified that I'd connect a hard drive later and left the network to "Not Connected".  The error isn't very useful and I'm not sure where to go dig to get a more descriptive error.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Monday, January 30, 2017 7:26 PM

Answers

• Well, turns out it was something to do with a Group Policy setting that was interfering with the creation.  The two servers I was using were newly setup and had not been put into the proper OU that has inheritance disabled.  Once I found that and moved them everything started working fine.

Too bad the error wasn't a bit more descriptive as I still have no idea which GPO setting it might have been that was getting in the way.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Kelemvor33 Friday, February 3, 2017 2:17 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Kelemvor,

>>I have a 2016 server setup with Hyper-V installed.

Is it a fresh install or upgrade from 2012 R2?

>>I also specified that I'd connect a hard drive later and left the network to "Not Connected". 

Still the same issue?

>>I tried creating the VM on the local C drive as well as on am SMB 3.0 share which is where I actually want it to go.

Create a new folder on C drive and try again.

Run sfc /scannow to see if there were any corrupted system files.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:42 AM
  • Howdy,

-Fresh install of 2016

-Same issue

-sfc /Scannow didn't find any problems

I created a folder on C called VM Hard Drives.  I then created a VM with just basic settings.  Dynamic memory, no hard drive, etc.  As soon as I click Finish I get the error.  The error has so little information I don't even know where to start looking...

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 5:33 PM
  • I actually tried this on a 2nd 2016 server and get the exact same error.  hmmm
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 5:49 PM
  • Hi Kelemvor,

>>I actually tried this on a 2nd 2016 server and get the exact same error

How did you get the installation media?

Best Regards,

Leo

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:04 AM
  • Creating via Hyper-V console or PowerShell?  Can you create just a VHD in the target directory?  What privileges does the user have?

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:45 PM
  • Well, turns out it was something to do with a Group Policy setting that was interfering with the creation.  The two servers I was using were newly setup and had not been put into the proper OU that has inheritance disabled.  Once I found that and moved them everything started working fine.

Too bad the error wasn't a bit more descriptive as I still have no idea which GPO setting it might have been that was getting in the way.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Kelemvor33 Friday, February 3, 2017 2:17 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:02 PM
  • Hi Kelemvor,

In group policy management console, select the group policy object, choose settings tab and you could see all the settings. Check the list to see which one is causing the issue. You may try to disable some settings temporarily to analyze.

Best Regards,

Leo

Friday, February 3, 2017 8:09 AM