Why I see different UAC slide bar for admin and Standard user ? RRS feed

• Question

• Why I see different UAC slide bar for admin and Standard user ? When I log-in with Local built in admin user the UAC slider is set to: Notify only when program try to make changes to my computer (and do not dim my desktop). Don't notify when I make changes to windows settings.

Local Admin user UAC

While for Standard user (logged in with Standard user and then accessed UAC console by entering local admin credentials) it is set to: Always notify me (and do not dim my desktop) - Programs try to install or make changes to my computer. I make changes to windows settings.

Standard user UAC

Can someone suggest whether the UAC slide bar setting should be same for all users (machine wide) ?

Amit

• Edited by er.amit Saturday, August 20, 2016 12:08 PM re framed question
    Saturday, August 20, 2016 11:59 AM

Answers

• Hi er.amit,

Both standard user accounts and administrator user accounts can take advantage of the UAC enhanced security. On new installations, by default, the first user account created is a local administrator account in Admin Approval Mode (UAC enabled). All subsequent accounts are then created as standard users.

"With UAC, applications and tasks always run in the security context of a non-administrator account, unless an administrator specifically authorizes administrator-level access to the system. UAC stops the automatic installation of unauthorized applications, and prevents inadvertent changes to system settings.”

If you want to control the UAC for standard user and admin user, we could use the GP settings and registry key settings. Please refer to the link below about how to control in Windows 7.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd835564(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 22, 2016 2:38 AM