How to use RichCopy to copy only files that have changed? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using RichCopy to copy files and folders from one system to another on a weekly basis.  RichCopy is working fine, but it is copying 100% of the data every time.  I am looking for a way to use RichCopy where it will compare files/folders from the source and only copy what data has changed to the destination.  I cannot find the option to do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you.

Monday, January 26, 2015 6:08 PM

Answers

• RichCopy is not a Windows 7 feature and it is an obsolete utility and there is no support for RichCopy.

Info found @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RichCopy

RichCopy is not supported by Microsoft.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-technet200904_1-1">[1]</sup> The program has not been updated since approximately June 2009, despite numerous users requesting for bug fixes.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-4">[4]</sup>

• Duplicates functionality already in Robocopy

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by FangZhou Chen Sunday, February 8, 2015 1:15 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 7:47 PM

All replies

• RichCopy is not a Windows 7 feature and it is an obsolete utility and there is no support for RichCopy.

Info found @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RichCopy

RichCopy is not supported by Microsoft.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-technet200904_1-1">[1]</sup> The program has not been updated since approximately June 2009, despite numerous users requesting for bug fixes.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-4">[4]</sup>

• Duplicates functionality already in Robocopy

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by FangZhou Chen Sunday, February 8, 2015 1:15 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 7:47 PM
  • Wow Rick Dee that was the most unhelpful answer I've ever seen...

For anyone else who stumbles across this question, these are the settings you need to copy only changes or new files. Go to Options and:

Copy always: Unchecked
    Security Setting is: "No check"
    File size is: "No check"
    Time stamp is: "Different > Last Write"
    Availability in destination: "Not exist"
    Attribute: "No check"

• Edited by Rubio9 Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Thank you for the settings. However, it did not help as it still began to copy everything all over again...

Saturday, May 20, 2017 6:47 AM
  • Windows xp/vista/7  use XCOPY  locate in cmd...
    Saturday, May 20, 2017 9:38 PM