none
Rebuild USN Change Journal

Question

• I am getting an error from Backup Exec when trying to backup one of my Windows 2008 R2 Servers that indicates that I need to rebuild the usn change journal database. I looked up the commands for accomplishing this and just had a couple of questions about executing these. First: Are these the right sequence of commands to run? -->

fsutil usn deletejournal /d c:
    fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 c:

Second: I am assuming the best time to run these would be right before a full backup?

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi PSK,

In general, there are two basic methods to remediate journal wrap errors, please check the article for more details.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/instan/archive/2009/07/14/what-happens-in-a-journal-wrap.aspx

And since this is windows server backup forum, we mainly focus on the problem about build-in feature WSB (windows server backup), for Backup Exec error, I suggest you may need to contact the software vendor for more professional support. Appreciate your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 2:44 AM
  • You have misunderstood my questions. The link you provided refers to SYSVOL synchronization issues on domain controllers. I am referring to USN Journal which is on all servers and is a Windows system function that keeps track of file updates. Backup programs access this in order to quickly asses what changes need to be backed up since the last backup (It apparently is an alternative to the archive bit). Apparently the USN Journal on one of my servers got corrupted and needs to be recreated. Veritas has a work around for this but I would like to get the USN Journal fixed and continue to use it. Since this is a Microsoft Windows issue I don't believe Veritas will be much help. I thought that the backup forum would be aware of this. If that is not the case can you refer me to a forum that could answer my original questions concerning the fsutil utility.
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:25 PM
  • Hi,

> Backup programs access this in order to quickly asses what changes need to be backed up since the last backup (It apparently is an alternative to the archive bit). Apparently the USN Journal on one of my servers got corrupted and needs to be recreated.

If possible could you please also post the specific error.  For build-in windows server backup mechanism, I'm sorry, I haven't seen the backup error related to  USN Journal before. So I suggest maybe you could also contact the 3rd party software vendor. Appreciate your support and understanding.

And maybe you could also refer to the article and thread  below.

https://support.unitrends.com/UnitrendsBackup/s/article/ka040000000LCJQAA4/000002567

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Exec/The-Windows-Change-Journal-is-unavailable-or-incomplete-This/td-p/307826

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thanks for your support.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 1:42 AM
  • I opened a case with Veritas to get their opinion on this. I'm receiving the following error from Backup Exec:

The Windows Change Journal is unavailable or incomplete. This resource will be backed up without using the Windows Change Journal.
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 3:35:59 AM - V-79-57344-41488 - Due to one or more errors in \\SORBS0.ROYNET.local\C:, this backup cannot be used for conversion to virtual machines, Simplified Disaster Recovery (SDR), or a complete online restore.
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 3:35:59 AM - Directory TEMP\Backup Exec\MP00\C\ was not found, or could not be accessed.
    None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 3:35:59 AM - V-79-57344-33967 - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

I will update when I hear back from Veritas.

• Edited by PSK14685 Thursday, September 21, 2017 3:44 PM
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

Appreciate your support and understanding. Look forward to your updates.

Best Regards,

Mary

Friday, September 22, 2017 1:30 AM
  • Did you ever resolve this?  I'm having the same issue.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 4:03 PM
  • This is the article I've read to arrive here: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100014518.html

This was taken from the error code I got from Backup Exec.

I've found Veritas Support to be utterly useless on almost all occasions and have had to find solutions or workarounds myself.

If anyone can supply a solution to rebuilding the Windows Change Journal Database, I'd appreciate.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 11:27 AM