none
OneDrive connectivity issue with other office apps

Question

• Our company is deploying OneDrive.  All of our workstations have Office 2013 installed including OneNote.  I have no issues deploying and signing into OneDrive, but I am running into an issue when we try to connect OneNote to Microsoft services such as OneDrive. 

A little history -- we use our UPN's and not email address to authenticate to Office 365 resources.  We're able to login to portal.office.com with our UPN's with no issue.  It's configured as a our primary login.  When we launch OneNote 2013 or 2016 for the first time we're asked to connect to a cloud service.  I enter my UPN and I am prompted that it doesn't recognize the MIcrosoft account or "this time of account can't be used here."  I browse to File > New in OneNote and try to sign in to OneDrive via OneNote and I receive the same results. 

The only way I can connect to OneDrive via OneNote is going to File > New > Add a place and selecting Office 365 SharePoint.  It will recognize my UPN (Microsoft business account) if I sign in there and it pulls in all my notebooks stored in OneDrive.  I have noticed that a new location is created in OneNote after I am able to authenticate.  The new location is named "OneDrive - %mycompanyname%" rather than just "OneDrive." 

Is there an easier way to connect OneNote to OneDrive and sync notebooks?  This is no intuitive at all.  It seems as if the logins are failing to the "OneDrive" location because it is looking for a personal Microsoft account rather than my business account.  Is there any way to pre populate the "OneDrive - %mycompanyname% location to OneNote?  This is strange because I am able to install the latest oneDrive sync client on my machine and login without issues.  The problem becomes getting other applications like OneNote, Word, Excel, etc. to connect to my company's OneDrive for Business. 

What can I do?

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:15 PM

All replies

• What's the complete error message?
    Monday, November 13, 2017 9:36 AM
  • I suppose you are experiencing the following message:

"This type of account doesn't work with this particular service. Please enter an email address or phone number associated with a different account."

>>File > New in OneNote and try to sign in to OneDrive via OneNote and I receive the

I’d like to explain that OneDrive and OneDrive for Business are two different services. OneDrive is a free cloud service which uses the Microsoft Account (eg. Outlook.com, Hotmail.com…). While OneDrive for Business is designed for Business use which was included in Office 365 for Business subscriptions.

As mentioned by you, you have OneDrive for Business account, so File > New > Add a Place > Office 365 SharePoint is the right option for you.

>> Is there any way to pre populate the "OneDrive - %mycompanyname% location to OneNote?

(Only I have correctly understood your query) If you have Single Sign-On (SSO) enabled in your environment, then it will be automatically configured when you launch OneNote.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:55 AM
  • Right.  OneNote 2013 and 2016 asks to "Connect to a Cloud service" when it is opened initially.  My business account is not recognized at that login prompt either.  I have to close out of that login prompt, navigate to File > Account > Switch Account in OneNote to be able to sign to my business account to connect with OneDrive for Business. 

This is extremely confusing to me.  I have two installations of OneDrive as well.  The first is just called "OneDrive" while the other is "OneDrive for Business."  The ODfB install asks for a library URL to sync so I believe that is the old sync client which we will not be using.  The install labeled "OneDrive" is connected with my business account and appears to be syncing files properly.

Very confusing....

Monday, November 13, 2017 12:02 PM
  • Very confusing....

A bit :-).

>>The first is just called "OneDrive"

This one is actually the new OneDrive sync client in Windows, which can be used to connect and sync files from your OneDrive for Business and from SharePoint sites. The following site will give you more information about this new sync client:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-started-with-the-new-OneDrive-sync-client-in-Windows-615391c4-2bd3-4aae-a42a-858262e42a49

>>while the other is "OneDrive for Business." 

This is the previous OneDrive for Business sync client, which is used to sync on-premises instances of OneDrive for Business or SharePoint site libraries.

To determine which OneDrive for Business Sync Client is right for you, check this great blog post:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wbaer/2017/03/23/which-onedrive-for-business-sync-client-is-right-for-me/

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:27 AM