Skype for Business Server Clean Installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have Lync Server 2013 infrastructure but i need to Clean Installation of skype for business server.

i don't want upgrade from lync to skype.

what shall i do?

Best Regards

Sunday, August 28, 2016 6:36 AM

Answers

• Do you mean a migration from Lync to Skype? If so, install the new admin tools on the new Skype server, add the new server to the topology and deploy it. You can move users over and repoint DNS slowly as you test. If you mean wipe out Lync 2023 completely and start brand new with Skype, this article should help: https://exchangequery.com/2014/12/23/steps-to-completely-uninstallremove-an-already-lync-20102013-deployment/

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Sunday, August 28, 2016 12:31 PM
  • Because there's already a central management store and topology recognized by active directory, it won't let you create a new one. So you'll either have to edit the existing one and migrate that over or completely decommission it before you start fresh.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Sunday, August 28, 2016 4:16 PM
  • Best way install Skype for Business server in same topology and migrate Lync to SfB as Anthony explain in above .

If you want to fresh SfB environment than you have to build everything new environment such as AD, Exchange etc.

Dinesh Singh https://ucservice.blogspot.com

Sunday, August 28, 2016 4:20 PM

All replies

• Do you mean a migration from Lync to Skype? If so, install the new admin tools on the new Skype server, add the new server to the topology and deploy it. You can move users over and repoint DNS slowly as you test. If you mean wipe out Lync 2023 completely and start brand new with Skype, this article should help: https://exchangequery.com/2014/12/23/steps-to-completely-uninstallremove-an-already-lync-20102013-deployment/

Sunday, August 28, 2016 12:31 PM
  • thanks for your reply.

i want start brand new with skype. 

what happen if i don't uninstall Lync Server 2013 and install skype for business server?

Best Regards

Sunday, August 28, 2016 3:03 PM
  • Because there's already a central management store and topology recognized by active directory, it won't let you create a new one. So you'll either have to edit the existing one and migrate that over or completely decommission it before you start fresh.

Sunday, August 28, 2016 4:16 PM
  • Best way install Skype for Business server in same topology and migrate Lync to SfB as Anthony explain in above .

If you want to fresh SfB environment than you have to build everything new environment such as AD, Exchange etc.

Dinesh Singh https://ucservice.blogspot.com

Sunday, August 28, 2016 4:20 PM

Hi, I've the same question. Dose the first option "edit the existing one and migrate that over", means that I can install SfB 2015 on fresh install server to have something like "coexistence", then proceed with editing Lync server 2013 and migrant it over…? TIA
    Monday, August 29, 2016 3:11 PM