none
Windows update Security patches keep reinstalling. Even though they succeeded.

Question

• Hi Guys, 

I am having an issue with Windows monthly security update keeps reinstalling (EG. KB4103725). If you check, View update history you can see that it has installed successfully. Yet if you check installed updates it does not show the update. 

I thought, believe the problem was with .net 4.5 installation and have tried everything to uninstall, rollback the installation. Even run the force uninstall tool. This does not seem to help. 

If anyone has any ideas for this I would love to hear them.

Thanks

Craig 

Craig

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 4:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

> If you check, View update history you can see that it has installed successfully. Yet if you check installed updates it does not show the update.
    Please open PowerShell, type “get-hotfix” to list all installed update/hotfix and confirm that if KB4103725 is displayed.

Besides, please try to re-name SoftwareDistribution – open CMD with admin permission and type below commands, each line ends with enter:
    net stop wuauserv
    Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    net start wuauserv

If KB4103725 is displayed of the “get-hotfix” result, just re-start system and check the result. If KB4103725 is not displayed of the “get-hotfix” result, re-start system in Clean Boot without 3rd party process enabled, and try to install the update again and confirm the result.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

download KB4103725 from below link:
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4103725

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:24 AM
  • Hi Eve,

Thanks for your email. 

So I have tried the rename of the software distribution and the caroot2. This did not help

I have tried manually installing the hotfix. This does not help. The hotfix does not show under get-hotfix.

I have tried 100 things and nothing seems to work. I have confirm this problem seems to happen on all preview of monthly quality rollup. 

The patch installed but when the computer reboots, it says couldn't install patch rolling changes back. 

I have installed the 4093121 Patch, Setup bit locker, disabled secure boot, run windows update trouble shooter, uninstalled all AV, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, sfc /scannow ETC ETC.

Any other ideas would be great. 

Thanks

Craig 

Craig

Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:30 AM
  • Hi,

>I have tried manually installing the hotfix. This does not help. The hotfix does not show under get-hotfix.
    >The patch installed but when the computer reboots, it says couldn't install patch rolling changes back. 
    What is detail error message of failed manually installation? 

If possible, please capture screenshot of the error message.

Besides, please try below steps to collect detail/clear log file:
    1. Stop the Windows Update service by running “net stop wuauserv” as administrator.

2. Backup the cbs.log (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS) and clear everything in it.

3. Start the Windows Update service by running “net start wuauserv” as administrator.

4. Manually download and install update KB4103725, restart the machine to reproduce the issue:
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4103725

5. Export Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Applications, System, Setup.

6. Upload the CBS.log and event logs to One Drive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and share the link here.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 18, 2018 2:45 AM
  • Hi Eve,

Will try doing that tonight 

Please note manual install does not have any error code. It install correctly its only have a reboot it uninstalls and I cannot find an error message. 

Craig

Craig

Monday, May 21, 2018 6:18 AM
  • Hi 

Link https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArfVKSLRpV4ugZhUoSUl4duZMAO30g

Thanks for your help

Craig 

Craig

Monday, May 21, 2018 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the manually installation via Clean Boot? 

Based on the event you had provided, KB4103725 has been successfully installed.

Besides, have you checked if KB4103725 is displayed with PowerShell cmdlet “get-hotfix”?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

14 hours 36 minutes ago