no sound RRS feed

• Question

• there is no sound on my computer and i have tried everything. my devices work properly and my sound levels are all up. HELP please.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 2:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please tell me which changes have been made on Windows Vista recently before the issue occurred?

If everything worked before, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore.

(Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

Regarding this issue, generally, it might be due to the following factors:

1.    The output device is damaged.

2.    The sound card doesn’t work properly.

3.    Playback device setting.

Therefore, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please plug a speaker or earphone (which works fine on other devices) to the jack to see if it works.

If it still doesn’t work, the issue may be more related to the sound card and please go on narrowing down the issue with next suggestions.

2.    Please help confirming the following information:

1)    Is the sound card compatible with Windows Vista?

2)    Is there any updated device driver available? (If you want, please let me know the exact brand and model of the device, and we may help you check the manufacturer’s website.)

3.    This issue can be caused by the factor that the device driver didn’t work properly.  

Please remove the sound card’s driver, reboot the computer and reinstall it again. (If there is a new version released on its website, please install the new one.)

4.    Please open Control Panel -> Sound, ensure "Speaker/Headphones" is selected.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:58 AM