none
NIC not working,No drivers for Winpe 4.0,What should i do? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Windows Server 2008 R2
    Windows ADK
    MDT 2012 Update 1

I have an Lenovo PC, and its NIC is Broadcom (VEN_14e4&DEV_169A&SUBSYS_101517).And the drivers of this device only support to Window 7.

Now, I want to deploy Windows XP to it. If I use PE 4.0 (ADK 8) ,In PE After PXE, I found the network is not working . But it is work fine in WAIK,MDT 2010 Update 1.

What should I do then? can i specify the windows 7 PE 3.0 to generate the LiteTouchPE?

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:20 AM

All replies

• So Windows Automated Installation Kit, support Windows XP SP1 up to Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit supports Windows XP SP3 up to Windows 8, and the new ADK 8.1 supports Windows up to Windows 8.1 and Server 2012R2.

The best thing you can do is to maintain a WinPE 3.0 boot image for deploying the Windows XP clients and use WinPE 4.0/5.0 for Windows 7 and Windows 8. This can easily be done, by using a virtual machine or two virtual machines where on the first you have installed WAIK and on the other WADK. The deployment share is somewhere in the middle on a fileshare, third virtual machine, or accessible from another location, and can be opened on both virtual machines.

Basically you create two console workbenches, one which will generate WinPE 3.0 boot images and the other generates WinPE 4.0 boot images. Do you have to maintain and service two boot images? -yes Is it desirable? -no

I don't think WAIK and WADK mix wel on one machine.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:11 AM
  • I don't know about your specific make/model of Broadcom card, but I suspect that...

You need to ensure that you have included the *correct* Broadcom driver in WinPE.

There is a long history around this, but Broadcom drivers are "different", meaning more difficult for you.

The standard Broadcom drivers won't work as-is in WinPE.

Ensure that you load the correct drivers: http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtremeii.php

When done, ensure that you *fully* update the MDT Deployment share, and re-distribute the WinPE images.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:17 AM