none
Connection to Deployment Share failed RRS feed

• Question

• I can pxe boot without any trouble. Upon connection to MDT we receive an error stating it can not connect to the deployment share, possible router or network configuration error. We had to rebuild MDT on another server, which was named ADS-MDT. The new server is named ADS-MDTMB. The error message we're getting shows the path to ADS-MDT, the original server. We can't find anywhere that the old server name is listed and why it should be trying to connect to it. The server was removed from the domain and does not exist on the network.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission

Friday, December 5, 2014 9:02 PM

Answers

• I have no idea what happened. This is going to sound crazy but I pxe booted and the connection to the share was made. I have done NOTHING that would have made this happen. I don't understand. It's working. Thank you for your replies. 

Bob

Prince, I wanted to let you know what corrected this for me. The computer I was imaging had been previously imaged with our old MDT server. I can only assume that the MININT folder was being read when trying to image the machine again and it was attempting to connect to the old server. I ran Diskpart and cleaned the drive and was able to connect to your share. This happened again on another machine and I repeated the cleaning and it worked. Just thought I would let you know.
    • Marked as answer by Bummed Out Monday, December 8, 2014 12:58 PM
    • Edited by Bummed Out Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:37 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 12:57 PM

All replies

• Can you paste your bootstrap.ini settings here? You want to make sure you have the appropriate rights and entries in there.
    Saturday, December 6, 2014 12:35 AM
  • Also can you open a command prompt and run ipconfig to see if you get an address?

Can you ping the MDT server?

We have to isolate the problem first!

Saturday, December 6, 2014 12:37 AM
  • Thank you for the reply. My bootstrap.ini is as follow:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\ADS-MDTMB\DeploymentShare$
    UserID=myid
    UserDomain=mydomain
    UserPassword=mypassword

I want you to understand that I can pxe without a problem. I get the "splash" screen and then it fails.

And I can ping the server without a problem.

• Edited by Bummed Out Saturday, December 6, 2014 4:32 PM Added Information
    Saturday, December 6, 2014 4:26 PM
  • With the command prompt window open can you

net use * \\MDT\DeploymentShare$ /u:UserDomain\UserName *

I want to make sure you can connect.

Also what splash screen do you see and at what point does it "fail"??

Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:23 PM
  • I will use the net use command when back to work on Monday. The blue screen is visible that says Microsoft Accelerators. Then after a minute or so it times out and I receive the failure to connect to deployment share. I know I'm repeating myself here but my share is on server ADS-MDTMB, the error shows failure to connect to ADS-MDT, which is our old server that has been de-commissioned. I don't get it.

Thanks again for the reply.

Bob

Sunday, December 7, 2014 4:25 AM
  • Your bootstrap.ini appears to be correct. Did you update the deployment share after fixing the bootstrap.ini? That is how new boot images are generated.

After you generate new boot images, you need to tell your PXE to use those new boot images. For example, we use Windows Deployment Services. I have to go into the WDS console and replace the existing x86 and x64 boot images with the ones I updated in MDT.

You must do this each time bootstrap.ini is modified.

Sunday, December 7, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Yes Patrick, I have updated the share by creating a new boot image and moved those images into the WDS server and restarted the service. As stated before, I have no problem pxe booting. It's when connecting to the deployment share. It states possible routing or connection error. It must be something minor that I'm missing here. This has been working without a problem. I truly have no idea at this point what it could be. I'll keep plugging away until I get it connecting again. Thank you for the reply.

Sunday, December 7, 2014 3:31 PM
  • I have no idea what happened. This is going to sound crazy but I pxe booted and the connection to the share was made. I have done NOTHING that would have made this happen. I don't understand. It's working. Thank you for your replies. 

Bob

Prince, I wanted to let you know what corrected this for me. The computer I was imaging had been previously imaged with our old MDT server. I can only assume that the MININT folder was being read when trying to image the machine again and it was attempting to connect to the old server. I ran Diskpart and cleaned the drive and was able to connect to your share. This happened again on another machine and I repeated the cleaning and it worked. Just thought I would let you know.
    • Marked as answer by Bummed Out Monday, December 8, 2014 12:58 PM
    • Edited by Bummed Out Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:37 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 12:57 PM