none
sharepoint user acess RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to sharepoint I have admin rights to sharepoint top level site( main site) other users wants to create their own sites. where should i give them permissions and what level?

do i need to give them permission on main site(top level site)?

Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

this is not the right Forum for SharePoint questions, but I will try to give you an answer:

SharePoint has no special group or permission level for persons who should be able to create subsites. But you can use the group "Hierarchy Managers" on the top level page. But consider that members of this group have only a bit less than admin permissions. They can do almost everything with these permissions on the website. It can also occur when creating the website - if users are not careful - that the permissions are inherited. This means that each person would have full permissions to all content. I don't know if this is intentional.

Therefore from the SharePoint perspective it would be better, that you create the subsites for your collegues without inheriting permissions (Use unique permissions). Then you can enter the responsable person in the site owner group. So each responsable can decide which content should be public for other people.

More complex - but better - to create a special group with a special permission level.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards

Bernhard Fischer

Bernhard Fischer [MVP] | www.wodey.de | Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:44 PM