none
leveling RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a leveling problem, as you see on the picture, one of my task finishes 10.05.2014 14:30 and the successor of it startes after it in the same day.I want task 39 to start 11.05.2014. I don't want to give 5 hours lag time for tasks because i have too many tasks like this.

When i get labor histogram daily basis, it looks like 4 person is working in that day but supposed to be 2 person in the histogram.

What should i do in the leveling options? i select "day by day" but it doesn't work

thanks

• Edited by selcukz Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:35 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:25 AM

All replies

• There is no direct way (or setting) to force tasks to start at 08:00. Pls see the method suggested by Nenad here at: http://ntrajkovski.com/2013/07/03/how-to-force-successor-to-start-next-working-day-in-ms-projet-2013/

You need to watch these tasks afterwards.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:50 PM
  • These solutions are not for me, because i cannot explain "dummy works" to nobody and i have 2000 tasks and nearly 100 of them have this problem, constraints would not be functional. Sagolun hocam yardımınız icin.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:28 PM
  • selcukz,

Your question is a common one that has been asked many times over the years. There are two basic approaches, one uses the "dummy task" approach and the other uses VBA. If you can't use the first, then you might try the following:

'This macro ensures all selected tasks can be completed continuously once started.
    '   Tasks are selected by setting Flag1. Note: this procedure does leave a
    '   start-no-earlier-than constraint on all shifted tasks
    'written by John 10/24/13 8:00 am
    Dim t As Task
    Dim EndTime As String, StartTime As String, ProjCal As String
    Dim WkD As Integer
    Dim DayDate As Date
    Sub NextDayB()
    'cycle through each task
    ProjCal = ActiveProject.Calendar
    For Each t In ActiveProject.Tasks
        'skip over blank lines
        If Not t Is Nothing Then
            'only look at Start time of non-summary tasks
            If t.Summary = False And t.Flag1 = True Then
                'find default start and end times for this task
                WkD = Weekday(t.Start)
                StartTime = ActiveProject.BaseCalendars(ProjCal).WeekDays(WkD).Shift1.Start
                EndTime = ActiveProject.BaseCalendars(ProjCal).WeekDays(WkD).Shift2.Finish
                'create faux end date & time if task ended the same date it started
                DayEnd = DateValue(t.Start) & " " & EndTime
                If Application.DateDifference(t.Start, DayEnd) < t.Duration Then
                    'task won't finish the same day so move it to start first thing next working day
                    t.Start = DateValue(Application.DateAdd(t.Start, "1d")) & " " & StartTime
                End If
            End If
        End If
    Next t
    End Sub

John

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:55 PM
  • Hi - Your question on how to schedule a task in the first hour of the next day and whether Resource Leveling can help. The answer is if the total resource units on a period (minute/hour/day/week/month) is more than the availability of this is said as resource over allocation. For instance, if you have two master-elect (in your Resource Sheet, you have this resource with max. set to 2) in the project and have assigned both of them to parallel tasks full time, then this creates a over allocation.  So, naturally this feature can't help you.

If you don't prefer constraints, you can try task calendar. Create a base calendar say "Cable Installation Calendar" and set the working time in the work week. This calendar should be configured on when cabling be installed (Project, Change Working time).

Next, assign this base calendar to task (either by opening the task, Advanced tab, calendar dropdown or insert a Task Calendar field in the view). If you want the installation to be done based on the resource calendar, have the "Scheduling Ignores resource calendar" option cleared otherwise select it.

Sai PMP, PMI-SP, MCTS Project, MVP Project

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:16 AM
  • These solutions are not for me, because i cannot explain "dummy works" to nobody and i have 2000 tasks and nearly 100 of them have this problem, constraints would not be functional.

Pls review the solutions suggested by John and Sai. John's solution seems practical since you have a lot of tasks not starting at 08:00.  

Another method if you'd like to consider:

- Create a one-minute task calendar with the range "07:59 - 08:00", Monday through Friday.

- Insert a one-minute milestone (duration = 1 min) to start of each installation package, and apply the one-minute task calendar to that milestone. 

You can change its bar shape to a small square (or another shape) in order to distinguish it from the other bars.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:23 AM