none
a URL resolving incorrectly RRS feed

• Question

• Hey All, got a curly DNS issue that i just can't figure out, hoping you can help me see what i'm missing..

we have users that can't browse to a website (secureregistrations.com), when i ping it, it resolves as a 192 address which is our local ip range so obviously doesn't find it. (the IP is actually the Default route of the VLAN on the switch)

when i nslookup, same thing even when i ask it to use 8.8.8.8.. it somehow resolves as a 192 address..  

when i resolve it from an internet dns service (network-tools) it resolves correctly to a 203 address and of course the site loads.

So what am i missing?

no local entry in our dns (no .com zone) only our local domain.
    no secureregistrations in our local zone.
    no hosts file entries on any DNS/DC or Proxy server.
    nslookup IP address returns the correct domain name.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:22 AM

Answers

• Maybe that, even if you are setting 8.8.8.8 as primary DNS server, 8.8.8.8 is not reachable in your case and your clients switch to another DNS server for DNS resolution (Use ipconfig to identify any other DNS server you use). Also, use NSlookup for troubleshooting: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29184.nslookup-for-beginners.aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo HanModerator Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:30 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:43 PM
  • Hi gboy,

Can you please run the following two commands and provide the full output of both here?

• ipconfig /all
    • nslookup -debug www.secureregistrations.com

If you can also let us know the model of the switch involved, that would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Lain

Friday, April 15, 2016 12:29 AM

All replies

• Maybe that, even if you are setting 8.8.8.8 as primary DNS server, 8.8.8.8 is not reachable in your case and your clients switch to another DNS server for DNS resolution (Use ipconfig to identify any other DNS server you use). Also, use NSlookup for troubleshooting: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29184.nslookup-for-beginners.aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:43 PM
  • Hi gboy,

Can you please run the following two commands and provide the full output of both here?

• ipconfig /all
    • nslookup -debug www.secureregistrations.com

If you can also let us know the model of the switch involved, that would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Lain

Friday, April 15, 2016 12:29 AM
  • Hi gboy,

>>we have users that can't browse to a website (secureregistrations.com), when i ping it, it resolves as a 192 address which is our local ip range so obviously doesn't find it.

Did you bind the  public address: 203.x.x.x to your ISP?

Please use the ipconfig/flushdns command on your client to flush the dns caches, meanwhile using the dnscmd/clearcache command on your dns server to clear the server dns caches.

Besides, please check the IIS related binding settings to ensure that the binding has no problems.

In addition, you could use the Wireshark tool to monitor and analysis the access procedure between the server and clients:

For downloading please navigate to link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Friday, April 15, 2016 1:51 AM