images management in mdt RRS feed

• Question

• in my mdt I have 4 images for Desktops and 4 for laptops they contain basic apps.

Then I have Applications for post deployment installation that a tech have to select (Office, Antivirus) other softs are installed manually depending on department requirements.

I have a colleague that never opened a Workbench, but read some MDT reviews and insists that I don't need 8 images (TSs) for Windows 7. But only one with Drivers in Out of the Box. Sure I have some NETWORK drivers without which I couldn't capture images and some video drivers in Out of the Box.

I would like to know if somebody has one Windows 7 or one Windows 8 Image/Task Sequence and just bunch of Drivers in out of the box for multiple computer models (how many?)? I still believe that having an image per model in environment where 1-2 models are added per year is practical.

Also can somebody with more than 5 applications in Applications node share his number of apps and in case that it is more than 10 do you bundle them for providing to a tech one click option to define 5 , 8 and etc apps for post installation.

Thx.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Friday, October 3, 2014 2:17 AM

Answers

• With all do respect, this is not how MDT is intended to be used. The benefit of MDT is that it doesn't require per-model type images.

The process of MDT works different. Since it injects drivers for models upfront before the Windows setup files are copied to the filesystem, and Windows setup is initiated.

This is how MDT works:

And with the topic I've responded to yesterday, in the green lane you can post-install applications after Windows has been installed, and it doesn't matter that you already have applications installed in your reference image. You can always install applications after an image has been deployed with MDT.

Your last question, is over complicating the case. MDT is a deployment tool with limited tools and options. Creating something that isn't a feature of MDT, must not be solved with MDT. Unless you have extensive scripting knowledge.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Edited by Hollanders, Rens Friday, October 3, 2014 7:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, October 3, 2014 10:36 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 7:16 AM
  • Hi,

In the operating system image node you can have multiple images, for instance the source image and your reference image (the product of the blue lane in the image I've attached) Now this reference image will be deployed to physical hardware (which happens in the green lane)

Driver targetting with MDT leaves you two options:

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/112/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2013/05/09/how-to-manage-out-of-box-drivers-with-the-use-of-model-specific-driver-groups-in-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-2012-update-1.aspx

These blogs are a must read for understanding driver injection.

Cheers!

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, October 3, 2014 12:33 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 11:13 AM

All replies

• With all do respect, this is not how MDT is intended to be used. The benefit of MDT is that it doesn't require per-model type images.

The process of MDT works different. Since it injects drivers for models upfront before the Windows setup files are copied to the filesystem, and Windows setup is initiated.

This is how MDT works:

And with the topic I've responded to yesterday, in the green lane you can post-install applications after Windows has been installed, and it doesn't matter that you already have applications installed in your reference image. You can always install applications after an image has been deployed with MDT.

Your last question, is over complicating the case. MDT is a deployment tool with limited tools and options. Creating something that isn't a feature of MDT, must not be solved with MDT. Unless you have extensive scripting knowledge.

Cheers!

• Edited by Hollanders, Rens Friday, October 3, 2014 7:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, October 3, 2014 10:36 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 7:16 AM
  • Rens,

thank you very much for politely alerting me about wrong approach.

I came to MDT from WDS which I used for XP deployments. So you can understand my per model image view.

We just started  real transition to Windows 7 from XP. I started with MDT2010 when there was  a need for 2 laptop models which I recommended with Windows7 because it was for an isolated environments. Then added 2 desktop models and didn't see the issue with adding captured OS from each model. Yes it was the same Windows 7 but with their drivers and the same basic apps.

Please correct me if I am wrong:

1. OS for all deployments - Windows7

in Operating System node only one Windows 7 should be imported

2. In Out of the box node next folders structure must be created :

folder for each computer model (ex DC8300, HP800 Elite Deskpro)

Next subfolders for each model folder with Driver name containing injected drivers  (Audio, Chipset, Network, Video)

3. Then create task sequence pointing to one and only available OS

Now I remember that from very beginning I had doubt about this approach (if you will say it's right at all) mostly because of chipset and video driver compatibility and sometimes installation order, then USB3. And how to troubleshoot it in case if something will go wrong.

Please confirm if the above approach would be correct or I am totally out of picture and am alone in this world who took beautiful product (MDT)  and use it as a junk with importing the same OS multiple times.

When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad. Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Friday, October 3, 2014 10:40 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 10:35 AM
  • Hi,

In the operating system image node you can have multiple images, for instance the source image and your reference image (the product of the blue lane in the image I've attached) Now this reference image will be deployed to physical hardware (which happens in the green lane)

Driver targetting with MDT leaves you two options:

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/112/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2013/05/09/how-to-manage-out-of-box-drivers-with-the-use-of-model-specific-driver-groups-in-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-2012-update-1.aspx

These blogs are a must read for understanding driver injection.

Cheers!

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, October 3, 2014 12:33 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 11:13 AM
  • > In the operating system image node you can have multiple images, for instance the source image and your reference image

when I say only one image should be imported, I mean by OS. Correct

But not my practice of capturing every pc model with the same OS.

Thanks for the links. I will need this info and never used DataBase that looks for me after start reading an IMPORTANT part for managing MDT.

Thanks for pointing to the right direction.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Friday, October 3, 2014 12:33 PM
  • You are most welcome.

Feel free to ask questions any time. That's why we're here for!

Friday, October 3, 2014 12:46 PM