Windows 7 does NOT ask for password after hibernation RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I'm using an HP Pavilion DM4 notebook. The machine came preinstalled with Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium. I changed some power management options to remove password protection after wake-up from sleep and screen saver. Those work as expected, however, the OS stopped asking for password also after resuming from hibernation. Windows 7 auto logs in to whatever state the computer was before hibernation.

I couldn't find a setting to toggle this behaviour, and when searching for a solution, I came upon statements like "Windows will always ask for password after hibernation". Appearently not, at least in my case.

Any suggestions?

Volkan

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:15 PM

All replies

• To request entering a password after hibernation, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > Require a password on wakeup (in the left pane) and remove the check mark in Don’t require a password.
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:04 AM
  • To request entering a password after hibernation, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > Require a password on wakeup (in the left pane) and remove the check mark in Don’t require a password.

Thank you for the input, however 'wakeup' is what comes after sleep, not after hibernation (correct me if I'm wrong). If I do the above, I am required to enter a password both after sleep and hibernation. That is not what I want. I want Windows to auto login after sleep, but prompt for password after hibernation.

In case there is no GUI option to do what I want, can anyone suggest a low level by-pass, work around, tweak, hack, etc.?

Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Have you tried it? BurrWalnut is correct. That should be the thing you want.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Have you tried it? BurrWalnut is correct. That should be the thing you want.

I did. Let me rephrase my last post: " I did what BurrWalnut suggested above, after which I am required to enter a password both after sleep and hibernation." I want to remove password protection from after sleep only.

Am I missing something? Or is this unexpected behaviour?

Friday, April 8, 2011 10:29 AM
  • I understand but I'm like you, I don't find any option for this BUT when you starts your computer from a shutdown, do you need to enter a password to login ?
    ITBM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 11:13 AM
  • I understand but I'm like you, I don't find any option for this BUT when you starts your computer from a shutdown, do you need to enter a password to login ?
    ITBM

Good point, here is my current situation:

[password protection on wakeup ENABLED]

.after sleep -> password required to login
    .after hibernation -> password required to login
    .after shutdown -> password required to login

[password protection on wakeup DISABLED]

.after sleep -> password NOT required to login
    .after hibernation -> password NOT required to login

[the magical settings I'm still looking for]

.after sleep -> password NOT required to login
    .after hibernation -> password required to login

Friday, April 8, 2011 12:50 PM
    • ... Does your Windows 7 ask for a logon password when you start your PC? ...

I have officially ran out of ways to describe my situation. Maybe it's a language barrier thing (English not be my native tongue), or maybe some of you are some sort of clever bots that reply to keywords only, failing to comprehend the entire question.

To answer your question, yes it does! Please feel free to check my previous post for details, where it says "after shutdown -> password required to login". Shouldn't be hard to find, since i stated it three times alltogether.

• Proposed as answer by benjiNme Monday, May 30, 2011 7:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by benjiNme Monday, May 30, 2011 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Your language is great, I understand your question just fine. I am having the same problem and did a Google search. It returned this thread, (Website). I am still looking for the answer, if I come up with it I will post it here.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Here is what I have done to accomplish this task. I searched the Internet for an answer and received one from, ijack May 30, 2011 at 09:20:20 Pacific at computing.net. ijack posted "I'm not sure that Windows allows that degree of control. How about setting a BIOS password?" Not knowing what he meant by this, I did another Internet search by typing "Bios Password" into a search engine. 

I then did several experiments to see how it would work. I ended up removing my password from my User account, so I was not forced to enter my password twice. The only trouble that I found with this method is; if during sleep mode, power is lost, I found I had to turn the power switch to my PC power supply off and back on again. Then it came out of hibernation like it was supposed to.

I have my PC set up that if I want to enter into sleep mode, I press the sleep button on my keyboard. If I want to enter into hibernation, I press the main power button on the computer.

In my BIOS settings, I was given the options using the password in either of these two ways. I could use it just when I entered the BIOS setup screen or always. I had to set it to always. My PC has an ASUS P5W DH DELUXE motherboard.

I hope this helps. I want to thank everyone involved with this Website as well... PEACE OUT

• Proposed as answer by benjiNme Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:53 PM
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Hi Volkan,

I was having the same problem and found the solution for you!  If you go to power options and choose from the left hand choices for change when the computer sleeps (I know it says sleep but trust me) then go to the "change advanced power settings" hypertext on the bottom --> this will pop open advanced power options --> go to the first choice - require password on wakeup change the "on battery" and "plugged in" from no to yes.  These are no to start with even though the password required after sleep option set in power plan choices so I believe that you can also choose to have password on wake from hibernate (tested and confirmed on my hp pavilion zd7015 to be working correctly) and you can turn off password required on wake from sleep (haven't tested this).

Hope this helps!  Only a year later, sorry!

Daniel

• Edited by EagleDTW Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:58 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:47 AM
  • very simple.

if you use only hybernation - so check in control panel /power options / requiere pass on wakeup

than - on both buttons choose Hybernate. apply and and switch of your computer by pressing power button. vuala :) after restart will be password window.

or you can choose and set up additional power plan if you use not just hybernate.

Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:41 AM
  • That works; thanks for sharing!
    Monday, February 26, 2018 9:21 PM