How to connect to named instance of SQL using period [.] RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed a side by side version of SQL Management studio. I now have a named instance for my new version. I would like to be able to connect to my named instance in SSMS by just using a period [.] as the server name. How can I do that?

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:36 PM

Answers

• .\<Named instance> is this something you are looking for?

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:07 PM
    Answerer
  • You can't.

The connection string is servername[\instancename].   The period represents the local server name.  There is no way to not specify an instance name.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:11 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• .\<Named instance> is this something you are looking for?

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:07 PM
    Answerer
  • You can't.

The connection string is servername[\instancename].   The period represents the local server name.  There is no way to not specify an instance name.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:11 PM
    Answerer
  • You are correct, I cannot connect to my named instance without specifying the instance name. What I am really looking for is a way to change my named instance to be the default instance so that I can connect to it with just a period [.] I do already have a different default instance...
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:52 PM
  • You can't. There is one and only one default instance on any given machine.
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi N Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:05 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:10 PM
    Answerer
  • While you can't change a named instance into a default instance, you actually can make the "." connect to a named instance. 

If you disable Named Pipes and Shared Memory for all instances, and put your named instance on port 1433, then you can connect to it with just a "." or "(local)".

David

Microsoft Technology Center - Dallas

My Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:02 PM