none
Change User Agent string for specific site IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• We upgraded all our users to IE11 so they would work with a lot of the newer sites.  We've run into an issue now to where one website will not operate properly.  We've tried adding it to compatibility mode, enterprise mode, etc and it doesn't change anything.  The only thing that works is using the developer tools and changing the user agent to IE8 and then the site functions properly, but as soon as you close the browser the UA goes back to 11.  Is there a way to specify what UA to use FOR A SPECIFIC SITE.  I know there are registry entries to change it in IE for every site, but I want to know if there is a way to do this on a per site basis.   Thanks!
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:03 PM

Answers

• We've tried adding it to compatibility mode, enterprise mode, etc and it doesn't change anything.

Sounds like you should try harder with an Enterprise mode solution.  Use the Developer Tools to trace what you are getting then and see if it is what you thought you were trying to get.  Tip: you can start with About:Blank so that all requests are traced when you start the problem site.  Make sure that Clear entries on navigate is not in effect because you especially want to see redirects.  Note also that the Console tab and the Emulation tab will provide useful summary details about what is happening when the session gets started.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:08 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

this answer is rather technical and you will require an intermediate understanding of web site programming (HTML, css and scripting) to understand it.... If this is beyond your knowledge scope may I suggest that you open a premier support ticket ( https://premier.microsoft.com/ ) and ask a support engineer to RAS into your network to make the appropriate diagnosis and recommendations)

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Always record developer console messages". Save your changes.

Open IE11 and navigate to your intranet site that is not loading properly. Press f12 to display the developer tool, select the console tab and copy and paste any error messages/warnings back on this thread, I expect that you will have a warning to about

"Consider adding the html5 document type declaration. <!doctype html>"

or

form_postback is undefined... (this error indicates that you must update you asp.net browser caps file).

then select the Emulation tab and observe which emulation mode has been determined and how it was determined eg. IE8 - Enterprise Mode list, IE7 x-ua meta tag, IE10 x-ua header.

Also post back with this information....

I expect that you will see IE5 (Quirks) enterprise Mode site lists.......

also... if you want, in the console tab of dev tools type

navigator.userAgent (expected a legacy IE5 UAS)

and

document.documentMode (expected 5...(if you don't have a valid documenttype declaration on the page or your documenttype declaration is proceeded by a comment tag (<!-- comment-->).

and

document.compatMode (expected BackCompat)

Basically I expect two possible solutions...

1. If you have access to the source code of the intranet page, have your developers ADD A VALID DOCUMENTTYPE DECLARATION TO THE PAGE.... they(your coders) should also perform some quality assurance and validate and correct markup errors at validator.w3.org/nu (use the direct input tab to copy and paste any intranet page markup into the validators).

You may also need to update your asp.net browsercaps file on your server (if using asp.net)

2. If you don't have access to the page/site source (and so can't add a valid document type declaration)

using the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager, change the required emulation mode for the domain eg. accounting/ or 110.0.0.3/ to use IE10 emulation...

after updating the EMSL reload the site in IE and display the dev tool's console and emulation tabs...

I expect you will see the following results...

Emulation tab, IE10 - Enterprise Site Mode list

Console tab -

document.documentMode == 10

document.compatMode==BackCompat

Your web page may now render properly, depending upon other dependencies.... 32bit ActiveX controls used... legacy asp.net browser caps definitions.... VML namespace elements... and others...

Regards.

Rob^_^

I would also add.... If this intranet application was written by a third-party vendor, pull out your service agreement with them, and check if you have clauses for quality assurance... something along the lines that their software MUST conform to W3C validation and conformance checking. If that is the case then they have a legal obligation to make the validation conformance changes at their own expense. 
    Friday, December 11, 2015 1:51 AM
  • Hi,

Easily to say that IE allow developer to force IE compatibility mode; in example

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8, IE=9" />

For each website, we can define this tab during the website.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 11, 2015 8:31 AM
  • Thank you for the follow up and the great detail.  Unfortunately with this particular intranet site we are kind of on our own.  The issue is that the developers who manage our site will only support up to IE9.  The issue is that all of our finance systems are going to require IE11 by February so we are trying to do all of our testing now.  So if I call our developers and mention anything about IE11 then they flat out wont talk to us about it since its not supported.  I just didn't know if there was an easy way for me to explicitly tell and individual site to use a particular user agent string.  
    Friday, December 11, 2015 2:32 PM
  • We've tried adding it to compatibility mode, enterprise mode, etc and it doesn't change anything.

Sounds like you should try harder with an Enterprise mode solution.  Use the Developer Tools to trace what you are getting then and see if it is what you thought you were trying to get.  Tip: you can start with About:Blank so that all requests are traced when you start the problem site.  Make sure that Clear entries on navigate is not in effect because you especially want to see redirects.  Note also that the Console tab and the Emulation tab will provide useful summary details about what is happening when the session gets started.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:08 AM
    Answerer