none
KB4013429 breaks Windows 10 installations

Question

• At this point, Microsoft is well aware of how bad this last update was.  Got the message, can't install...backing out... That's an 1 1/2 hours.  Worked with Microsoft tech support for 2 hours to reinstall the OS.  Completing that took another 3 hours.  Still had to install KB4013429. Call that 45 minutes.  Took a while to figure out and fix losing all my Outlook contacts and appointments - 45 minutes. Blew up VS 2015 and Sql Server Management Studio. Had to repair VS 2015. That was 4 hours. Warning triangles for C++2015 Redistributable - both x64 and x86 since another version was installed. Warning triangle for GitHub Extension (VSIX extension with a matching Identifier is already installed to this product).

Questions: Did MS test this update? Are they trying to match March Madness for lost productivity? Are they going to do anything to avoid this major screw up in the future? Why all the updates in the first place?  Apple doesn't seem to have the same issue with the MacBook Pro. Am I going to have more problems? Will VS 2015 have update 4 to make it compatible with KB4013429?

And the last question, how about a free copy of VS2017 to partially compensate me for my lost time? Oh, and one more question. Will there be an update to that as well to make it compatible with KB4013429?

Jim Rand

Monday, March 20, 2017 6:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim Rand,

Those messages are warnings not errors. It indicates that those components has been installed on the machine and there is no need to install them again. So I think they could be ignored safely.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jim Rand Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Jim Rand,

At present, we haven`t got many reports that this update cannot be installed. So the issue should be related to the specific environment.

There is no doubt that the update has been tested for hundred of times before it is official released. However, it is nearly impossible to test the update for every scenario. Furthermore, an failure update could be caused by various reasons such as the corrupted system files, third party conflict, corrupted registry key configurations, corrupted file permissions and so on.

If you get the similar issue in the future, we could take the following steps to troubleshoot the issue firstly.

If there is any antivirus software installed, please turn them off temporarily.
    1.Open an administrator command line and run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files.
    2.Run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have  a diagnostic :
     Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Windows Update
    3.Clear the windows update cache.
     net stop wuauserv
      cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
      ren Download Download.old
      net start wuauserv
      Restart the machine and manually check for updates again
    4.Install in a clean boot environment.
    Clean boot
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If the issue persists, please check the Event Viewer (Event Viewer \Windows Logs \Application, System, Setup ), the "Windowsupdate.log"(updates won`t be downloaded) (Search it directly) and CBS.log (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS) (update install failure) for more information to troubleshoot this issue. If you have troubles in analyzing this issue, you can upload them to the OneDrive and paste the link here.

As for the Office question, it is out of this forum catalog support scope. You could try to ask for help from our Office forum.

"Will there be an update to that as well to make it compatible with KB4013429?"
    I am not sure the exact question. If you mean there will be updates released in the future, we will get security updates every second Tuesday of each month.

I hope my clarification will be useful to you.

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:34 AM
  • Thank you for your response.  I have saved this information in case my system gets clobbered again.

"At present, we haven`t got many reports that this update cannot be installed. So the issue should be related to the specific environment."  A Google search comes up with other people who are having the same specific issues:

• Failure to complete installation
    • Corrupted Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    • Corrupted Microsoft Visual Studio

"There is no doubt that the update has been tested for hundred of times before it is official released."  My computer is less than a month old and came delivered with Windows 10. The software that was corrupted was the MS OS and Visual Studio. Suggest Microsoft conducts the following test:

1. Install SQL Server 2016 and Visual Studio 2015.
    2. Assuming KB4013429 is already installed, reload the operating system to simulate getting the system to boot properly.
    3. Update with KB4013429.
    4. Run Visual Studio 2015 repair option. 

This is what I got:

Visual Studio Repair

It appears that the GitHub extension is working.  Time will tell. Don't know about the C++ Redistributable issues.  Would appreciate some guidance on this one.

Thanks,

Jim Rand

Jim Rand

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:45 PM
  • Hi Jim Rand,

Those messages are warnings not errors. It indicates that those components has been installed on the machine and there is no need to install them again. So I think they could be ignored safely.

Best regards

• Marked as answer by Jim Rand Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:05 AM
  • FYI. I am not a happy camper.  Yesterday both email and the Chrome web browser failed to connect.  Other computers on the network had no problem.  Today, same thing. Figured, what the heck, I'll just reboot - again.  Maybe that will dislodge the computer.  Took 5 minutes to reboot. Low and behold, I've go email and the web browser back.  My confidence in this computer and Microsoft is waning. Here's hoping it works on Monday.

1 1/2 years ago, attended a presentation on the virtues of Windows 10.  Presenter pointed out that if you're in the first line of users, let's call them the schmucks (which would be me), you have no control over the application of Windows updates.  For  Windows 7, I'd wait a week and check to see if it was safe.  Can't do that anymore.  Please, no more huge updates to the O/S.  Little fixes only that are done right are fine.  Take a page out of Apples's play book.

Jim Rand

Saturday, March 25, 2017 4:29 PM